Set a platter of this steak and avocado salad on the table and watch it disappear. Whether it’s a family dinner, a dinner party, a potluck, or a weekend BBQ, this is a go-to summer recipe that will make everyone happy.
Primal and keto-friendly, this salad features grilled steak tossed with greens, avocado, scallions and cucumber, plus a sprinkle of crunchy pepitas . The creamy chipotle dressing couldn’t be easier to make; just whisk Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayonnaise  with fresh lime juice.
Actually, this is more than just a salad. It’s a main course meal loaded with flavor, protein, and healthy fat. Just thinking about all the healthy fat in this recipe will make you salivate: avocado oil , avocados, grass-fed beef, pumpkin seeds, and a creamy and healthy dressing that delivers loads of monounsaturated fat.
Prepare this steak and avocado salad ahead of time so you can sit back and relax, knowing that your work is done and that an amazing and healthful meal is ready and waiting.
Time in the Kitchen: 45 minutes, plus 30 minutes to marinate
- 2 pounds flank steak (or other boneless steak of your choice) (900 g)
- Juice of 3 limes, divided
- ¼ cup Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil  (60 ml)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (5 ml)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (2.5 ml)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (2.5 ml)
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves (or parsley, if you don’t like cilantro), plus extra for garnishing the salad (25 g)
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 large handfuls arugula, baby kale, or other dark, leafy baby green
- 2 avocados, sliced or cubed
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (75 g)
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo  (115 g)
In a blender or food processor, combine the juice of 2 limes, avocado oil , garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and cilantro. Blend until smooth with small flecks of cilantro. Pour the marinade over the steak in a sealable plastic bag or long shallow dish, so the beef is completely covered.
Let the meat marinate at least 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Prepare grill for medium-high heat; make sure grates are clean and lightly oiled. Remove steak from marinade, shake off extra marinade, and grill 8 to 10 minutes (or longer for a thicker steak), flipping the meat once or twice until both sides are lightly charred and the steak is medium-rare. Let the meat rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Juice the remaining lime into a small bowl. Whisk 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lime juice and 1 tablespoon cold water into the Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo . Continue to add lime juice and water until the mayonnaise reaches the desired flavor and consistency you want for the salad dressing.
Arrange butter lettuce and greens on a large platter. Scatter cucumber, scallions, pumpkin seeds, and a handful of cilantro leaves (or parsley) on top. Arrange the sliced steak over the salad. Up to this point, the salad can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated.
Right before serving, slice and add the avocados, and drizzle the Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo  dressing on top.