Brussels sprouts often get a bad rap that has everything to do with poor cooking than inherent taste. The truth is, you don’t need to cook Brussels sprouts at all (but done well, they are amazing roasted , too), and this salad proves it.
Bacon is, not a surprise to anyone here, one of the best complements for Brussels sprouts—cooked or raw. Here the warm bacon added to the shredded leaves with tasty goodies like pecans and gorgonzola make this salad a hearty side. With the addition of a bacon vinaigrette dressing, you’re officially in Primal heaven.
Time: 33 minutes
- 6 slices (6 ounces) bacon, chopped
- 14 ounces Brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed, shredded*
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh parsley
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil 
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon drippings
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Primal Kitchen Spicy Brown Mustard 
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook bacon in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until browned and just crisp, about 6–8 minutes.
Transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towels to drain. (It helps to use a spatula and press bacon against the side of pan to drain excess bacon drippings back into the pan.) Reserve rendered bacon drippings for dressing.
*Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts. Halve the Brussels sprouts, then thinly slice through the width so the pieces separate. Alternatively, use a food processor fitted with the slicing attachment to coarsely shred the Brussels sprouts.
In a large bowl, toss together Brussels sprouts, cooked bacon, parsley, pecans, gorgonzola, and shallots. Toss with dressing and serve.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
- Calories: 309
- Carbs: 6
- Fat: 27
- Protein: 10