In this week’s edition of Smart Fuel: the fruits of summer!
July is ripe for the nutritional picking. This is the best month of the year for stone fruits, tender fresh fish, berries, sweet sugar snap peas and green beans, and floral chanterelle mushrooms. The foods currently in season provide a perfect blend of healthy essential fatty acids, B vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber and lean protein. Whether you have access to a nearby brook, orchard, wooded patch or simply a good farmer’s market, be sure to maximize the naturally smart combination July provides.
To eat now:
– Stone fruits: enjoy apricots, plums, peaches and nectarines (apricots in particular are at their best for several more weeks).
Farlane Flickr Photo (CC)
– Fish: try perch, rainbow trout, brown trout, and mackerel (delicate and delicious protein source).
ProjectDP Flickr Photo (CC)
– Berries: go for gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries (look for sales!).
Garibaldi Flickr Photo (CC)
– All things podded: dig in to sugar snap peas, green beans, and green peas (legumes are an excellent source of fiber and vitamins).
CDW9 Flickr Photo (CC)
– Gourmet touch: chanterelle mushrooms are abundant with phytochemicals and make a perfect pairing for fresh-water fish. These fragrant fungi are available now in many stores and markets. They grow wild in deciduous forests so you may be able to harvest a few for yourself. Psst…learn about mushrooms and picking safely here.
Brocktopia Flickr Photo (CC)
Most Popular Posts
More Smart Fuel
Seasonal Food Information
[tags] seasons, seasonal food, fruit, fish, berries, legumes, nutritional information, summer [/tags]
If you'd like to add an avatar to all of your comments click here!