Reader Alex Straftis has come up with a twist on Primal egg coffee  that’s so refreshing and invigorating, it’s worth sharing. Simply by adding ice, he’s whipped up a whole new drink with all the same health benefits as regular Primal egg coffee.
His Primal egg coffee frappe is perfect for a hot summer day, a pre-workout boost or a post-workout cooler. The spices  can be changed as desired (Alex also adds Hungarian paprika) but the blend below adds a nice hint of flavor while letting the coffee still dominate.
Servings: 8 to 12 ounces
Time in the Kitchen: 20 minutes
- 5 ounces coffee, double strength* (use twice the amount of ground coffee you would normally use for 5 oz water) (150 ml)
- 3 pastured eggs, whole
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (5 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (1.25 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (1.25 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (1.25 ml)
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom (a pinch)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric (a pinch)
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar** (a pinch)
- 2 ounces coconut milk (60 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups ice (a large handful)
*The coffee is brewed at double strength so the flavor isn’t diluted when blended with ice.
**Cream of tartar is optional. It helps stabilize the egg whites and make the drink frothier.
Let the coffee cool slightly, then whisk in the eggs. Cool in freezer for 10 minutes.
While the coffee is chilling, combine honey, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, cream of tartar, coconut milk and ice in the blender.
Blend briefly, so the ice cubes are broken into small pieces.
Pour the chilled Primal egg coffee into the blender. Blend again for 30 seconds or so, until the ice is slushy and the top is frothy.