This salad is a riot of flavors. Shredded pork is tossed with cool, crunchy veggies (like kale, cabbage , cucumbers and mint) and dressed with tangy coconut-lime dressing. It’s a salad that is many things at once: rich, light, meaty, fresh, filling and healthy.
The pork is so easy to make—just throw pork shoulder in an Instant Pot and let it do its thing. It’s complete comfort food. You can make this pork shoulder again and again for different meals. But when you’re in the mood for a really flavorful salad, then toss the pork into this super-bold blend of raw veggies and bold, funky dressing. Lime juice, fish sauce , coconut milk and avocado oil  whisk together in a dressing that’s like no other.
Time in the Kitchen: 25 minutes, plus 90 minutes to cook pork
Instant Pot Pork
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 3 pieces (1.3 kg to 1.8)
- 2 teaspoons salt (10 ml)
- 3 teaspoons granulated garlic (15 ml)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 to 2 tablespoon avocado oil (30 ml)
- 3 /4 cup coconut milk (180 ml)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (45 ml)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (30 ml)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (80 ml)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (30 ml)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (10 ml)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot (10 ml)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil  (80 ml)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 head Lacinato kale, leaves torn from stem into small, bite-sized pieces
- ½ red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
Cut 1-inch/2.5 cm deep slits all over the pork. Mix together salt, granulated garlic and lime zest. Rub the pork all over with the mixture. Ideally, let the seasoned meat sit out 30 minutes before cooking.
Set Instant Pot (or other brand of electric pressure cooker) to sauté and add avocado oil. Add pieces of pork and sear until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes a side.
Add coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice. Put lid on pressure cooker, and set to cook for 90 minutes on high pressure. Manually release steam when cooking is complete. Remove the meat from the broth.
The broth left in the Instant Pot can be refrigerated and used for another meal. Reheat the liquid and use it as a sauce for pork or other meats, or use it to enhance soup broth or stew.
When the pork is cool enough to handle, shred into small pieces or larger chunks.
For the salad, whisk together coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce and shallot. Add a pinch of salt. Slowly add avocado oil, whisking constantly to emulsify.
In a large bowl, toss kale, cabbage, cucumber and mint. Add pork and dressing before serving.