The Instant Pot is a perfect appliance for stew, coaxing flavor and tenderness out of meat and vegetables in a short amount of time. Instead of the typical beef and white potato stew, this recipe uses lamb  and sweet potatoes , plus a bunch of spices , for a richly flavorful and comforting meal.
The sweetness of the potatoes is perfect with the slightly gamey flavor of lamb. After a short time in the Instant Pot, both the meat and sweet potatoes melt in your mouth like butter. Cinnamon , coriander, cumin, garlic and ginger all punch up the flavor but don’t overwhelm the dish.
This lamb and sweet potato stew doesn’t need anything more to be a full meal. However, roasted cauliflower and sautéed greens  are nice sides.
Time in the Kitchen: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (15 ml)
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt (7. 5 ml)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (2.5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (5 ml)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (10 ml)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 inches (5 cm) ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (15 ml)
- 1 cup bone broth  (240 ml)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled (1.2 ml)
- Cilantro or parsley for garnish
In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, cumin and coriander. Rub spice mixture all over the lamb. Let the seasoned lamb sit out while you chop and prep the other ingredients.
Press the “sauté” button on the Instant Pot. Add coconut oil. When oil is hot, add lamb in two separate batches and brown on all sides, then remove from the Instant Pot and set aside.
Lower the sauté heat and add onion (add more coconut oil if the pot seems dry). Sauté 3 to 5 minutes until onion is translucent. Add garlic, ginger and tomato paste. Sauté about 1 minute, mixing constantly.
Add bone broth  and cinnamon stick. Add meat back to the pot. Seal and cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
Let the pressure release/vent naturally. Open the lid and add the sweet potatoes (and saffron, if using).
Cook under high pressure for 10 minutes. This time, activate the quick release the valve.
Garnish with cilantro or parsley.