This is a recipe from the brand new Primal Blueprint Publishing book Primal Cravings: Your Favorite Foods Made Paleo. Order your copy today and claim a bunch of free gifts while the limited-time offer lasts. See all the details here.
A theme we like to play with a lot is taking flavors you know and love and adding a twist…we want our food to be familiar yet interesting. Gyro Taco Salad is a good example of just that. We took the components of a traditional taco salad, but flavored it like a traditional gyro. Gyro spiced ground lamb (or any ground meat) over lettuce (plus any of your favorite veggies) and topped off with a fresh mint and cucumber guacamole AKA Tzatziki Guacamole. Wouldn’t that just be a real Mediterranean fiesta?
For the Gyro Taco Salad
1. In a large sauté pan, brown the lamb. Once the lamb looks about halfway cooked through, add the onion and garlic. Continue to cook until onion is softened. Add the oregano, thyme, coriander, chicken stock, lemon juice, and salt. Cook about 5 minutes more, until the stock has reduced a bit.
2. Chop the romaine lettuce and serve with gyro meat and a spoonful of tzatziki guacamole.
For the Tzatziki Guacamole
1. With a cheese grater, shred the cucumber with a box grater over a tea towel.
2. Twist the tea towel up and squeeze it over the kitchen sink to remove excess water from cucumber.
3. Blend avocados, squeezed cucumber, mint, dill, lemon, and salt in a food processor until smooth.