Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Glucose deficency and Thyroid page

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31

    Glucose deficency and Thyroid

    Shop Now
    I joined recently and have been reading lots here and really love the Primal lifestyle as it's very similar to how I've been eating for a while now.

    Background: I have fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism (TSH in range, not sure on T3/T4), and rheumatoid arthritis (symptomatic, not degenerative)

    I've lost 175 lbs with about 30 or so to go to a healthy BMI. 5'2, medium frame, 172 lbs, goal of 135. I've done this via Atkins strictly by the book (Induction/OWL/finding my CCLL, etc.) so high fat, low carb, with typical carbs at around 30 net carbs per day. I recently upped my fat to around 2000 calories a day, but eat 60-65% fat, 25% protein the rest carbs daily, 3 meals a day with some snacks.

    My menu is mostly eggs, ground beef, chicken, pork, tuna (fish allergy but tuna seems okay), lots of low glycemic veggies, berries, 1-3 oz of cheese or cream, a little Greek yogurt, very limited nuts (almonds mostly), occasional glass of wine or low carb beer, lots of water, some coffee and tea, coconut oil, butter, mayo, olive oil/vinegar for cooking/condiments/dressings. Been eating like this for 2 or more years.

    Losing the weight, eating low carb/high fat, avoiding processed foods and junk, exercising, etc. has improved my heath including the fibro dramatically. Not cured of course.

    But I've hit a plateau for about 4 months now bouncing between 3-4 lbs. I've tried upping my fat/calories lately and noticed my energy was better and less hunger. I do walking 3x a week for cardio. Started weight lifting again a couple weeks ago. Still no change to the weight, but my inches have dropped a little bit but not alot. I am also lots more active as I've lost the weight. It's taken me 3-4 years or more to lose the 175 lbs as I've always lost weight slow (1-4 lbs a month). Had some plateaus along the way but this 3-4 month one is the longest yet.

    Doing some reading here and elsewhere, I'm beginning to wonder if my carbs are too low and I may be in some sort of glucose deficiency and/or it's affecting my thyroid. I've read Paul Jaminet's posts about T3/rT3 and needing enough glucose to keep T3s in the right levels.

    I've made an appointment with my endocrinologist for Tuesday and will see if he will check my T3s too as we've never checked them and I strongly suspect I may have some T3 problems. My TSH has been in range with some tweaks for a while. I had some tests with my rheumy a few weeks ago that showed my immune system may be low (WBC barely in range, MCHC and Lymphocytes low) and my usual SED and CRP high. Cholesterol is excellent at Total 184, Trig 56, HDL 61, LDL 112, glucose 87. Also, I still take metformin (insulin resistance possible PCOS when I began seeing the endo) and wonder if this would contribute to my glucose deficiency and may be time to stop it (will ask the endo).

    I do take a ton of supplements, including flaxseed oil, Vitamin C, B Complex, Magnesium, Calcium, CoQ10, multi, glucosamine/chondrotin, melatonin, etc. I know I should eat more fish but have an allergic reaction to many of them. Is there another way to get Omega 3s?

    The past couple of months I have noticed an increase of my thyroid symptoms again: cold hands/feet, sensitivity to cold, fatigue, extremely dry skin, especially once I started weights a couple weeks ago. I just dismissed it as SAD or dry heat from the winter, but am starting to think this is all related to the plateau and perhaps hitting some point of Very Low Carb for too long (25-30 net carbs daily) that's affected my health especially thyroid.

    Upping the carbs seem the obvious answer, but how much? Should I lower the calories as I do so from 2000 to closer to my BMR which is around 1600? My AMR is around 1900. I noticed a nice energy boost when I went from 1600 calories to 2000 a couple months ago.

    And what would be the better carbs to re-add? Sweet potatoes? Rice? I'd like to avoid goitrogens and nightshades and get the most bang for my buck veggies/carbs here.

    I'm also looking into Iodine Deficiency and may try working on that after I see my endo next week. Not sure if he'll buy into this one though. I'm not beyond trying things on my own as I've done alot of that already for my fibro and RA and found alternative treatments that have helped.

    Any other ideas? Thanks ahead of time. Losing alot of weight really does help but I think I need some fine-tuning now to get me to my goal and optimize my health.

  2. #2
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,145
    If your doing 30 net you could go up by 20-50g and see how that suits you. You would still be in the 50-100 range for ongoing weight loss. Just make sure they are primal carbs and you should be able to trust you satiety signals. Unless you have always been a calorie counter. In that case you should replace the fat calories with the carbs.

    Low carb does not hurt your thyroid so dont worry about that. The physiological change in thyroid hormone from low carb IF it is from low carb goes away as soon as you reintroduce carbs.

  3. #3
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    I take it you are on a thyroid replacement hormone, Synthroid or something? TSH is best as low as possible, ie. .5 but definitely should be in the lower range. You may want to ask your endo if he will check your rT3. Most are reluctant, but there is a danger to low carb/prolonged dieting called Euthyroid sick Syndrome. From Wikipedia:

    Ill patients may have normal to low TSH depending on the spectrum of illness. Total T4 and T3 levels may be altered by binding protein abnormalities, and medications. Reverse T3 are generally increased signifying inhibition of normal Type 1 enzyme or reduced clearance of reverse T3. Generally the levels of Free T3 will be lowered, followed by the lowering of Free T4 in relation to severity of the disease.Patients might have high corticosteroid level.

    I'd try to work all that out before worrying too much. Other than that, the closer you get to your ideal weight, the slower it gets. You may have to throw in some super-tweaks once you get your hormones in order, ie. fasting, IF, calorie restriction...

    Good luck

  4. #4
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    8,713
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

  5. #5
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,292
    honestly curious here - "rheumatoid arthritis (symptomatic, not degenerative)"

    i've never heard of such a thing. isn't it by nature a degenerative illness? educate me, if you have time.

  6. #6
    Grizz's Avatar
    Grizz is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by ivelosttheweight View Post
    I joined recently and have been reading lots here and really love the Primal lifestyle as it's very similar to how I've been eating for a while now.

    Background: I have fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism (TSH in range, not sure on T3/T4), and rheumatoid arthritis (symptomatic, not degenerative)

    I've lost 175 lbs with about 30 or so to go to a healthy BMI. 5'2, medium frame, 172 lbs, goal of 135. I've done this via Atkins strictly by the book (Induction/OWL/finding my CCLL, etc.) so high fat, low carb, with typical carbs at around 30 net carbs per day. I recently upped my fat to around 2000 calories a day, but eat 60-65% fat, 25% protein the rest carbs daily, 3 meals a day with some snacks.

    My menu is mostly eggs, ground beef, chicken, pork, tuna (fish allergy but tuna seems okay), lots of low glycemic veggies, berries, 1-3 oz of cheese or cream, a little Greek yogurt, very limited nuts (almonds mostly), occasional glass of wine or low carb beer, lots of water, some coffee and tea, coconut oil, butter, mayo, olive oil/vinegar for cooking/condiments/dressings. Been eating like this for 2 or more years.

    Losing the weight, eating low carb/high fat, avoiding processed foods and junk, exercising, etc. has improved my heath including the fibro dramatically. Not cured of course.

    But I've hit a plateau for about 4 months now bouncing between 3-4 lbs. I've tried upping my fat/calories lately and noticed my energy was better and less hunger. I do walking 3x a week for cardio. Started weight lifting again a couple weeks ago. Still no change to the weight, but my inches have dropped a little bit but not alot. I am also lots more active as I've lost the weight. It's taken me 3-4 years or more to lose the 175 lbs as I've always lost weight slow (1-4 lbs a month). Had some plateaus along the way but this 3-4 month one is the longest yet.

    Doing some reading here and elsewhere, I'm beginning to wonder if my carbs are too low and I may be in some sort of glucose deficiency and/or it's affecting my thyroid. I've read Paul Jaminet's posts about T3/rT3 and needing enough glucose to keep T3s in the right levels.

    I've made an appointment with my endocrinologist for Tuesday and will see if he will check my T3s too as we've never checked them and I strongly suspect I may have some T3 problems. My TSH has been in range with some tweaks for a while. I had some tests with my rheumy a few weeks ago that showed my immune system may be low (WBC barely in range, MCHC and Lymphocytes low) and my usual SED and CRP high. Cholesterol is excellent at Total 184, Trig 56, HDL 61, LDL 112, glucose 87. Also, I still take metformin (insulin resistance possible PCOS when I began seeing the endo) and wonder if this would contribute to my glucose deficiency and may be time to stop it (will ask the endo).

    I do take a ton of supplements, including flaxseed oil, Vitamin C, B Complex, Magnesium, Calcium, CoQ10, multi, glucosamine/chondrotin, melatonin, etc. I know I should eat more fish but have an allergic reaction to many of them. Is there another way to get Omega 3s?

    The past couple of months I have noticed an increase of my thyroid symptoms again: cold hands/feet, sensitivity to cold, fatigue, extremely dry skin, especially once I started weights a couple weeks ago. I just dismissed it as SAD or dry heat from the winter, but am starting to think this is all related to the plateau and perhaps hitting some point of Very Low Carb for too long (25-30 net carbs daily) that's affected my health especially thyroid.

    Upping the carbs seem the obvious answer, but how much? Should I lower the calories as I do so from 2000 to closer to my BMR which is around 1600? My AMR is around 1900. I noticed a nice energy boost when I went from 1600 calories to 2000 a couple months ago.

    And what would be the better carbs to re-add? Sweet potatoes? Rice? I'd like to avoid goitrogens and nightshades and get the most bang for my buck veggies/carbs here.

    I'm also looking into Iodine Deficiency and may try working on that after I see my endo next week. Not sure if he'll buy into this one though. I'm not beyond trying things on my own as I've done alot of that already for my fibro and RA and found alternative treatments that have helped.

    Any other ideas? Thanks ahead of time. Losing alot of weight really does help but I think I need some fine-tuning now to get me to my goal and optimize my health.
    Your MOST important supplement that you need for your thyroid is 200mg of Selenium (or 2-Brazil Nuts a day) and iodine supplements for your symptoms. Please see this Iodine References Doc.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

    There is a nationwide epidemic of iodine deficiency & thyroid problems that is caused by a sea of chemicals around us kicking iodine out of our bodies. Bromides, Fluorides & Chlorides deplete iodine in our cells. Every cell in our body requires iodine for optimum health. You have all the symptoms of severe iodine deficiency. Your doctor will try to talk you out of taking iodine supplements and instead put you on Synthroid, where the simple addition of iodine supplements with selenium, natural salt, magnesium & vitamin C are recommended by Dr. Brownstein and other leading doctors.
    See this document:

    Iodine deficiency is the leading cause of a Pandoras Box of disease, including Fibrocystic Breast Disease, PCOS, Endometriosis, Migraine Headaches and related cancers.
    Join our own Iodine Group or the Yahoo Iodine Group for more,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 04-13-2012 at 10:07 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    honestly curious here - "rheumatoid arthritis (symptomatic, not degenerative)"

    i've never heard of such a thing. isn't it by nature a degenerative illness? educate me, if you have time.
    I had juvenile RA that went into remission in my earlier twenties but I still have the swelling, inflammation and signs of arthritis (on xrays) along with elevated SED and CRP. But it hasn't been degenerating or damaging my joints (didn't much when I was young either) according to xrays or worsening or having any other auto-immune effect that I know of.

    My rheumatologist said she's often sees this often with JRA patients as they grow older.

  8. #8
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by ivelosttheweight View Post
    I had juvenile RA that went into remission in my earlier twenties but I still have the swelling, inflammation and signs of arthritis (on xrays) along with elevated SED and CRP. But it hasn't been degenerating or damaging my joints (didn't much when I was young either) according to xrays or worsening or having any other auto-immune effect that I know of.

    My rheumatologist said she's often sees this often with JRA patients as they grow older.
    thanks for taking the time! most interesting.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I take it you are on a thyroid replacement hormone, Synthroid or something? TSH is best as low as possible, ie. .5 but definitely should be in the lower range. You may want to ask your endo if he will check your rT3. Most are reluctant, but there is a danger to low carb/prolonged dieting called Euthyroid sick Syndrome. From Wikipedia:

    Ill patients may have normal to low TSH depending on the spectrum of illness. Total T4 and T3 levels may be altered by binding protein abnormalities, and medications. Reverse T3 are generally increased signifying inhibition of normal Type 1 enzyme or reduced clearance of reverse T3. Generally the levels of Free T3 will be lowered, followed by the lowering of Free T4 in relation to severity of the disease.Patients might have high corticosteroid level.

    I'd try to work all that out before worrying too much. Other than that, the closer you get to your ideal weight, the slower it gets. You may have to throw in some super-tweaks once you get your hormones in order, ie. fasting, IF, calorie restriction...

    Good luck
    Thanks. I am on levoxyl and TSH did drop all the way to .09 last year but I went to skipping my .112 dose 2x a week (doctor's orders) and this put TSH back at 2.50. We'll check it again next week and see.

    We have never checked my T3 or rT3 before. I will ask and hopefully he'll let me test it.

    I'm not in a big hurry to reach goal weight and know the remainder of the weight will take a while, but a little movement in the right direction would be nice as well as feeling a little better. Tired of being cold and having dry skin.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Your MOST important supplement that you need for your thyroid is 200mg of Selenium (or 2-Brazil Nuts a day) and iodine supplements for your symptoms. Please see this Iodine References Doc.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

    There is a nationwide epidemic of iodine deficiency & thyroid problems that is caused by a sea of chemicals around us kicking iodine out of our bodies. Bromides, Fluorides & Chlorides deplete iodine in our cells. Every cell in our body requires iodine for optimum health. You have all the symptoms of severe iodine deficiency. Your doctor will try to talk you out of taking iodine supplements and instead put you on Synthroid, where the simple addition of iodine supplements with selenium, natural salt, magnesium & vitamin C are recommended by Dr. Brownstein and other leading doctors.
    See this document:

    Iodine deficiency is the leading cause of a Pandoras Box of disease, including Fibrocystic Breast Disease, PCOS, Endometriosis, Migraine Headaches and related cancers.
    Join our own Iodine Group or the Yahoo Iodine Group for more,
    Grizz
    Thanks Grizz. I've been reading your long thread here and the links you've posted and it all rings true with me that this may be at the root of my problems.

    I do worry that my endo will not be on board with this, though he is pretty open minded most of the time (I even convinced him to try low carb dieting and he and his PA have both lost weight this way).

    I'll get my blood work done next week and see if I can get more thyroid stuff tested, and broach the subject about Iodine and see what kind of reaction I get. Based on that, I may try the iodine and selenium supplementation and see.

    Thank you for your thread and information on this. I may recommend this to a friend of my with CFIDS and endometriosis that I suspect could have similar issues.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •