Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia and change of diet? Advice is needed... page

jmcman13 is offline Junior Member

Insomnia and change of diet? Advice is needed...

Shop Now
    Hello All:

I am a 33 yr old male who has been eating a low carb, moderate fat and protein diet for about a week. I am overweight and trying to drop fat. I am also exercising alot. I have noticed the last 3-4 days my sleep hasn't been good. I haven't had an issue before. Mostly I have trouble staying asleep. Last night was the worst. I couldn't fall asleep until 4am. I woke up at 630am. My question is can this be related to the diet change? Has anyone experienced this, and if so, how should I correct it. I would prefer not to change diet alot since I'm losing weight, but sleep is most important. Thanks so much in advance for your replies!

JM

snutts is online now Member
    Caffeine intake?
    Any supplements you take?
    What's your bedtime routine like?
    Alcohol?

Personally I sleep like a log with a primal approach .
    Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world.

Thanks for replying. I dont take caffeine, but have been drinking a cup of decaf the last two nights about and 1-2 hours before bed (I'm not a big coffee drinker, but started recently to hold off cravings). No alcohol. No particular sleep routine (watch tv, fall asleep and been doing it for years with no problem). Supplements:

Fish oil: 3 grams
    Vit D3: 5,000 iu
    Multi Viitamin
    Zinc: 60mg
    Glucosamine: 1 pill

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member

Insomnia and change of diet? Advice is needed...

Yes - I think it's quite common.

If I eat very low carb ( usually with high fat) I often won't go to sleep easily, or wake often, or just difficult to get back to sleep.

Normally takes a few days on low carb to happen - but then I adjust after a while and sleep easily.

Same for going to bed fasted - wide awake for HOURS ( not hungry but awake).

Maybe have a small piece of fruit (carbs) just before bed and a bit more if you wake up and can't sleep.

Anyway it's sleep time for me now - tired - yep I'm very low carb at the moment ( have adjusted).

Thanks for this info. Any suggestions on something I should do? Should I keep doing what Im doing and see if I adapt? How long does this process usually take (I know its different for everyone)?

pkjody is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcman13 View Post
    Thanks for this info. Any suggestions on something I should do? Should I keep doing what Im doing and see if I adapt? How long does this process usually take (I know its different for everyone)?
    When do you exercise and how hard? You say you are exercising a lot. Too much exercise or exercise within 3 hours of going to bed is not a good idea. Stress hormone levels will be higher and can blunt the release of melatonin.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium seems to be an often recommenced supplement. It is a good idea to analyze the foods you used to eat to see what might be missing from your diet in the nutrients you might have been taking in. Example grains have B vitamins, iron, copper, zinc, magnesium. Have a baked potato as part of dinner, I like to lay off food for at least 4 hours before bed.

I workout with weights about 3-4 days a week and do martial arts 2 days a week. The workouts are mostly weight training with little to no cardio. On off days I may do some body weight exercises. Most of the time I workout in AM or early afternoon.

Does the baked potato contain all those vitamins and minerals? I used to eat a very high carb and high processed food diet up until about a week ago, now Im eating very low car (50-75g) and high fat and moderate protein. Any magnesium recommendations or brands? Thanks guys~!

snutts is online now Member
    I really wouldn't worry about magnesium supplements yet. Look at a good wind down routine,no TV, nothing that will stimulate the brain and relax - is it stress related?
    Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Decaf does have some caffeine, that's most likely why it's helping with your cravings. Ditching that should help in no time. I'd also supplement with a good amount of magnesium, if I were you - grab a bottle of Natural Calm and start taking it before bed. You need the mag for many reasons other than sleep.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast