Show yourself some love on Valentine’s Day by indulging in these heart-shaped dark chocolate candies. These treats are truly irresistible, with intense bittersweet flavor and a smooth, creamy texture that slowly melts in your mouth. There’s nothing questionable added, just health-giving ingredients like cacao butter, raw cacao powder, avocado oil, maple syrup, sea salt, and hazelnuts.
1 cup finely chopped cacao butter (120 g)
1 cup cacao powder (100 g)
2 tablespoons PRIMAL KITCHEN® Avocado Oil (30 ml)
2 tablespoons maple syrup, or more to taste (30 ml)
¼ teaspoon salt (1.2 ml)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or other flavoring extract) (5 ml)
½ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped (75 g)
Kitchen Equipment: 18 to 24 -cavity silicone mold (can be heart-shaped, square, round or whatever shape you want the chocolates to be)
- First, create a double broiler (which keeps direct heat away from ingredients to prevent scorching). To do so, add several inches of water to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Set a smaller saucepan on top, making sure it’s not touching the water.
- Add cacao butter to the smaller saucepan, stirring as it melts. When cacao butter is completely melted, turn off the heat. Slowly whisk in cacao powder, avocado oil, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- At this point, stir in the hazelnuts or any other flavoring ingredients you want.
- Taste the chocolate–if it’s too bitter, add more maple syrup.
- Pour the chocolate into silicone molds (using a bowl with a pour spout works best). Refrigerate 1 hour until solid. Note: there chocolates keep best in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Time to Set in Fridge: One hour
- Serving Size: 1/18
- Calories: 117
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 34 mg
- Fat: 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Net Carbs: 2.9 g