Here are ten delicious, natural, smart carbohydrates we enjoy at the Sisson household. For comparison, I’ve included unhealthy but popular items that I think these smarter choices can replace. The flavor and texture components aren’t a perfect match by any stretch, but I think there’s enough similarity that you’ll find it painless to switch to the healthier selections.
10. Baked, buttered, and salted acorn squash instead of french fries
9. Butternut squash instead of spaghetti
This is Mindgraph’s Flickr Photo CC
8. Sweet potatoes instead of potatoes (amazingly, a much lower impact on blood sugar)
7. Grilled eggplant instead of breaded chicken
This is Moria’s Flickr Photo CC
6. Portabello mushrooms with soy sauce instead of hamburgers
5. Raw heart of palm instead of fried mozzarella sticks
This is Lana Stewart’s Flickr Photo CC
4. Tempeh with chili sauce instead of white rice with jug “teriyaki sauce”
3. Green peas with shredded parmesan and olive oil instead of macaroni ‘n cheese
This is Himachal’s Flickr Photo
2. Artichoke hearts baked with a bit of cheddar instead of fried chicken nuggets
1. Caprese salad instead of pizza
This is Avlxyz’s Flickr Photo CC
My Carb Pyramid
More Top Ten Health Posts
Carbs Are Not the Devil
What are your favorite healthy alternatives to refined carbohydrates?
This post was brought to you by the Damage Control Master Formula, independently proven as the most comprehensive high-potency antioxidant multivitamin available anywhere. With the highest antioxidant per dollar value and a complete anti-aging, stress, and cognition profile, the Master Formula is truly the only multivitamin supplement you will ever need. Toss out the drawers full of dozens of different supplements with questionable potency and efficacy and experience the proven Damage Control difference!
[tags] low-carb, healthy carbs, healthy recipes [/tags]
If you'd like to add an avatar to all of your comments click here!