- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
The Yolk’s On You
Posted By Sara On July 12, 2007 @ 2:33 pm In Health,Nutrition,Smart Fuel | 8 Comments
Apologies for that headline.
By now, most folks are aware that eggs are not unhealthy despite their high cholesterol content. (Though not everyone, because Eggbeaters is still in business!) Eggs contain quality protein, fat, and important vitamins and minerals. Most of the nutrition is found in the yolk of the egg, which is why we’re making the yolk this week’s Smart Fuel.
Yolks contain a plethora of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that nourish your eyes, your brain, your heart and your mood. A sampling: lutein, selenium, vitamin D, vitamin E, Omega-3’s, sulfur, tryptophan, choline, magnesium, B12, the complete amino acid profile, and much more . Yolks are truly one of the most dense nutrition sources on earth. Take a look at this rundown from the USDA .
– Choose organic or free-range eggs. Better yet, if you live near any farms, see about purchasing fresh farm eggs. The best yolks are a rich yellow.
– You can eat eggs after the “sell by” date, but definitely toss them a week beyond that. Fresh is best with eggs, both for safety and nutrition.
– If you aren’t sure about the freshness , plunk your egg in a bowl of water. If it rises, it’s old. If it sinks or bobs near the bottom, it’s fresh.
– It’s not really a smart idea to eat eggs every day, because allergies can sometimes develop (this is true of many foods). But several eggs a week is genius.
More Smart Fuel 
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/yolks/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 Paul Goyette’s Flickr Photo (CC): http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgoyette/258868974/
 much more: http://www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92#nutritionalprofile
 USDA: http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=12354500
 freshness: http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2004/march/remedy2.html
 More Smart Fuel: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/smart-fuel/
 egg: http://technorati.com/tag/egg
 yolk: http://technorati.com/tag/yolk
 cholesterol: http://technorati.com/tag/cholesterol
 food : http://technorati.com/tag/food
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.