Play, for 30 minutes:
Follow the Leader
This week’s WOW is going to be a fun one. You need at least one partner (though more are better) and some open space. Implements to play on and implements to pick up and play with are also recommended.
You’re going to play follow the leader. If you’re the leader, you’ll be “leading” the workout. The other(s) will be following. If you’re using implements (like sandbags, kettlebells, rocks, or weights), scatter them throughout the workout area. After warming up, start off with a slow jog. Then, start throwing in random moves. Dive and roll. Shuffle to the right. Take off sprinting, then drop into a crawl. Grab and toss a sandbag, pick it up again, shoulder it, and blast out a set of squats. Climb a tree, if you see it. Do a quick set of five pullups on those monkey bars. I’m not going to lay out a specific routine, because that destroys the essence of the WOW. Just keep things interesting, and slow things down if you need a bit of rest.
If you’re following, keep up! Do exactly as the leader does, and take some mental notes, because halfway through it’s going to be your turn to lead – and you can’t do the same stuff the previous leader did. If you have three or more people, make sure everyone gets a shot at being leader.
Hat tip to reader Ben for the inspiration for this WOW.
A few things to remember:
- While this WOW will leave you breathless and possibly sore, it’s mostly about the doing. Enjoy yourself. Embrace the moments.
- Try not to go in with a preconceived plan of action. Tap into that “flow” mind space and go from there. Do not rehearse.
- Have fun!
Too many to name.
What Are WOWs?
- Workouts of the Week (WOWs) are an optional component of Primal Blueprint Fitness that add a fractal and often fun and playful quality to the basic PBF protocol.
- In most cases WOWs should only be completed by those that have mastered Level 4 of each Lift Heavy Things Essential Movement. Also, it’s recommended that WOWs replace one or both Lift Heavy Things workouts or the Sprint workout (depending on the WOW) each week instead of being done in addition to the Lift Heavy Things and Sprint workouts.
- Learn more about WOWs and Primal Blueprint Fitness by getting the free eBook. And access all Workouts of the Week in the WOW Archive.
Get the Primal Blueprint Fitness eBook, Free Health Tips and Primal Recipes Delivered to Your Inbox