Pretty much anyone who’s ever tried the tired old “calories in, calories out, eat less, move more” way to lose weight can tell you that doesn’t really work, especially not for the long haul. Jonathan Bailor’s fantastic new book, The Calorie Myth, explains exactly why the old paradigm doesn’t work and shows you how you can lose weight by emphasizing the quality of what you eat and how you move – even if you eat more and move less than before. Enter to win a copy, or just buy the book outright (and get some awesome bonuses exclusive to MDA readers!). I highly recommend it.
Research of the Week
Psyching yourself up when stricken with performance anxiety is better than trying to calm yourself down (which, let’s face it, never works).
When it comes to partial meniscal tears, sham knee surgery might work just as well as actual knee surgery.
Interesting Blog Posts
How to go without your phone for a month in a major city (and not go crazy and totally disrupt your professional life).
Turns out coffee won’t stunt kids’ growth. Cool, but I think there remain valid reasons not to dose your toddlers with caffeine.
After ten years of losses, McDonald’s has finally closed up shop in Bolivia. The people there just like actual food too much.
Paleo (or Caveman Diet) was the most searched-for diet term on Google this year. It’s the world’s oldest fad diet.
Satire or Serious?
Who’s ready to welcome the Medium-Chain Sugar Amphiphiles, a new “family of healthy vegetable oil structuring agents,” into our lives?
America’s citizenry are in the unenviable position of suffering an expansion of morbidity even as they experience a compression of life expectancy.
McDonald’s isn’t all bad, though (if entirely bereft of – or, come to think of it, filthy with – self-awareness): in their employee resource handbook, they recommend that McDonald’s employees limit fast food.
Grizzly bears may not be as easy to manipulate as lab rats, but they serve as better models of human metabolism.
Are allergic reactions an evolved defense against toxins and venoms?
- Montana bison picadillo pie with grass-fed beef liver is quite a mouthful. In a good way.
- Everyone loves finger food, especially people at a New Year’s eve party. Here are 29 recipes from PaleOMG.
One year ago (Dec 29 – Jan 4)
- A Different Kind of Fitness Resolution – Instead of resolving to lift more, run faster, and log more miles, a better resolution might actually be to slow things down.
- Are You Eating These Important Supplemental Foods? – It’s usually preferable to get your nutrients through foods rather than supplements. But what if you treat certain foods like supplements?
Comment of the Week
OK boss I need 30 days off. I think I might be allergic to work and we best reintroduce it slowly
- Nice idea! I might even humor it if a Worker Bee tried it on me.