Research of the Week
Chopping wood boosts testosterone  more than playing sports.
This news fills me with confidence: 9 out of 10 new drugs  are no more (or even less) effective than their predecessors.
When smokers quit, they often gain weight, but not because of increased calorie intake. It’s the change in gut flora, according to new research .
Interesting Blog Posts
How the future of psychiatry may lie inside our guts .
Next time you run your dishwasher, stick a filet of salmon in there .
A familiar science journalist wonders  whether it’s too many calories or the wrong kind of calories that’s making us fatter. Or could it be both? (Subscription only.)
Now that these ten celebrities have gone paleo , you can too!
That’s one way  to get people to sprint once in awhile.
It’s looking as if babies actually aren’t born sterile after all .
Food scientists have an ingenious idea  to get rid of trans-fats: replace them with a novel food grade “oleogel” made of cellulosic polymer, surfactant, and vegetable oil. Or, you could just, I dunno, put the saturated fat back in that you were trying to replace in the first place.
Here’s what high heels do to your feet , in excruciatingly revealing detail.
Forget adaptations for consuming grains. This is the kind of evolutionary change  I want to see!
Scientists are growing a miniature human brain in a lab somewhere . I must confess: it’s not as cute as other tiny versions of things.
- A fun thing to do with meatza (like this sausage pesto meatza ) is to introduce it as pizza when you serve it to people, then act surprised when they ask about the lack of crust.
- You know what? Do the same routine with this basalmic beef bolognese with zucchini noodles .
One year ago (Sept 1 – Sept 7)
- How Common is Gluten Sensitivity?  – Just because a person isn’t a full blown celiac doesn’t mean gluten is harmless. Learn how common such gluten sensitivity might be.
- A Primal Primer: Candida  – Is there really something to that mystery affliction to which some people attribute every symptom known to man? Find out.
Comment of the Week
It would be even more impressive if it was nighttime, and Mark was reading Hemingway on the paddleboard with sunglasses.
– That’s somewhat impressive , sure, but I’ve been known to read Joyce’s Finnegan’s Wake on my paddleboard while wearing the blast shield helmet from Star Wars during a lunar eclipse.