Research of the Week
Using a computer to simulate one second of human brain activity  takes 40 minutes, 1 petabyte of RAM, and nearly 83,000 processors. Ray Kurzweil might be waiting a bit longer than he imagined for the Singularity to arrive.
In a recent observational study , having four or more caffeinated (but not decaf) cups of coffee per day was associated with the lowest risk of suicide.
Interesting Blog Posts
A couple weeks back, I discussed the saturated fat tax being proposed in New Zealand. Well, Professor Grant Schofield wrote a great blog response  to it. Be sure to check out the comments (one of the NZ health experts proposing the tax chimes in – and gets politely trounced).
In the first of a body image series on Paleo Periodical, Tara Grant gives her thoughts  on what paleo looks like.
I’d say this is a fair, balanced take on GMOs . Wouldn’t you?
Drop whatever you’re eating, folks, and rush over to McDonald’s. You wouldn’t want to miss out on the cheapest and most nutritious food in human history , would you?
Now for some (real) good news: the obesity rate is dropping among poor children .
The world’s first lab-grown stem cell “burger” has been eaten . It’s “close to meat.”
How life in American may actually drive you insane . It goes much, much deeper than food or pharmaceuticals, unfortunately.
Sweat-working , a different kind of business networking that involves heavy breathing, exercise bikes, and (occasionally) spandex.
Do we really need diapers that analyze the protein contents  of a kid’s urine? I can’t wait for the adult versions. Quantified Self conferences full of adults making crinkling noises every time they sit down, anyone?
How you might be able to tell people’s socioeconomic statuses by the kinds of toxins in their bodies .
A history  of our love affair with sugar.
- There’s really nothing quite so satisfying as a stew. Heck, even the name is satisfying to say: “stew.” Then you add “Caribbean Fish” on to that and get something really good going .
- Turkey doesn’t get enough attention. Sure, it gets an entire holiday devoted to it, but what about the other 364 days? Now go on and make some Thai spiced turkey burgers  to make up for it.
One year ago (Aug 11 – Aug 17)
- Are Eggs Really As Bad For Your Arteries as Cigarettes?  – No. Here’s how the authors of the latest ridiculous eggs-will-kill-you study got it horribly wrong.
- Is Your Olive Oil Really Olive Oil?  – The olive oil industry is fraught with fraud, corruption, and adulteration. Learn how to avoid the problems and get real olive oil.
Comment of the Week
There are major health drawbacks to beer. That’s why I only drink grain alcohol and rainwater. One must protect one’s precious bodily fluids.
– Everyone should go watch Dr. Strangelove right now, if they haven’t yet. Fantastic movie.