Research of the Week
In elite gymnasts, a three month stint on a very low carb ketogenic diet had no (negative or positive) effect on their performance and explosive strength levels. Gymnasts on the ketogenic diet, however, did lose a considerable amount of fat mass.
A new meta-analysis concludes that protein supplementation increases both strength and muscle mass in younger and older trainees engaged in prolonged resistance exercise.
Interesting Blog Posts
The Sock Doc breaks down how our hormones can affect the health and stability of our ligaments.
“It’s not me, it’s you,” said the venison to the finicky modern eater.
Vote for Robb Wolf and Greg Everett‘s whole Paleo Solution podcast dealio gig in the People’s Choice Podcast Awards. Scroll down to Health/Fitness to cast your vote.
If any grain is Primal, it’s Paleo oatmeal, about as old fashioned as you can get (Onion warning).
Crossfit Endurance founder Brian Mackenzie details his training philosophy in the newly-released book with the self-explanatory title: Power, Speed, Endurance. If you’re a fan of endurance sports (or just general human performance) and you want to do them safely, effectively and healthfully, check out the book. Here’s a trailer, and here’s a sample chapter (PDF), free of charge.
And for the kids out there wondering what they should put on their feet to go run, here’s a possible answer.
- Yeah, it’s a nut-meal based paleo treat that apes SAD food but so what? It’s the holidays: Paleo Sweet Potato Biscuits.
- Just wrap it in bacon and they’ll never be the wiser.
One year ago (November 18 – November 24)
- The Problems with Antibiotics: More Fallout from Killing Your Flora – All the other downsides to antibiotics abuse that most people – even those who get it otherwise – don’t really mention.
- The Problems with Antibiotics: Possible Alternatives and Damage Control – Assuming you do have a condition that calls for antimicrobials, are there any options besides antibiotics? And how can you reduce the collateral damage?
Email of the Week
I don’t know how ANY of the test subjects managed to fall asleep while researchers were taking their rectal temperatures.
– Different strokes, mattoomba. Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it.