Why our food is making us fat  (hint: it’s not the fat).
How America’s grocery buying habits have changed  – for the worse. Via NPR.
Also from NPR, “Commenters Bite Back on the Paleo Diet,”  complete with a totally representative image of some guy eating a raw steak out of a paper bag (an unwitting foreshadowing of world where red meat is regulated and steak must be consumed clandestinely, perhaps?). This is a response to an earlier article  which got taken apart by said commenters.
Hospitals in Europe (and, hopefully, elsewhere) are poised to roll out the world’s first quick, cheap, and accurate test for gluten intolerance .
While I’d personally prefer having R2D2 rolling alongside beside me, whirring and beeping encouragement as I lift, sprint, and train, I guess a flying exercise drone  will have to do.
I’ve discussed how humans are hard-wired to be optimists before. Here’s a similar take on the evolutionary origins of optimism .
A pretty slick stand-up desk .
In yet another edition of “What Can’t Butter Do?”, Qualcomm discovers a novel way  to test the thermal efficiency of their smartphone chips.
Bell pepper bread ?
- Jerk chicken is great, but why stop with birds? Throw some pork  in there, too!
- Some people don’t do white potatoes, while others have sweet potato intolerances. Everyone, however, loves them some squash. I present: squash fries .
One year ago (June 17 – June 23)
- The Art of Work: Avoiding the Pitfalls of a Sedentary Job  – If you liked my post on working outside  this week, you’ll probably something to like in this one, too.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Backyard Chickens  – Ideas on how to start your very own egg making company.
Comment of the Week
Blowing through your lips to make a “raspberry” or “horse lips” helps open the sphincters to ease release as well. It is also fun.
– Um, really, yoolieboolie ?