In his introductory theory of obesity post, Paul Jaminet proposes a “lean tissue quality setpoint,” declaring the body fat setpoint to be “so 2011.” (Okay, that last part isn’t really true.)
It’s like the author of this paper had me in mind when he wrote it: “Play as a Foundation for Hunter-Gatherer Social Existence.” (PDF)
Legendary NBA power forward Karl Malone would surely appreciate Melany Vorass’ locally-procured, bushy-tailed fare.
First, umami threw traditional taste-bud science into disarray. Now, calcium, piquance, fat, and kokumi? How human taste buds may actually taste six distinct flavors – and perhaps a half dozen more. This is like finding out that Pluto isn’t actually a planet.
Overeating on a low protein diet led to lower body weight than overeating on a higher protein diet, but the latter’s weight gain was mostly lean body mass. Or, why the scale doesn’t really tell the complete story. Full PDF for interested parties.
These squat alternatives have been around for awhile, but they’re worth exploring. First, Mike Boyle explains why he thinks the squat is dead and the single leg split squat is superior (and safer). Then, Bryce Lane offers up the B-squat, an arguably more natural way to squat (especially for folks who didn’t grow up regularly sitting in full squats).
Karen De Coster, longtime friend of MDA, was fired by her doctor for bucking Conventional Wisdom. Here’s her story.
This animated GIF is pretty painful to watch.
- Cinnamon parsnips, from the geniuses (genii?) at The Food Lovers’ Primal Palate.
- Rack of lamb? Ha! Go grab yourself some goat and make rack of goat.
One year ago (Jan 2 – Jan 8)
- 17 Ways to Improve Your Sleep – Because sleep is both a luxury to be enjoyed and an essentiality.
- Dear Mark: Seasonal Affective Disorder and Light Box Therapy – Because there’s more than one SAD to worry about when it comes to health and happiness.
Comment of the Week
Perhaps in another 100000 years or so humans (or whatever they call themselves by then) will have evolved to consume nothing but plastic – tasty tasty plastic in a variety of colors! Or be robots.
- We can only hope, Brian Clasby, we can only hope.