- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
Posted By Worker Bee On February 5, 2007 @ 9:05 pm In Health,Nutrition,Personal Improvement,Raise Healthy Seedlings,Worker Bees' Weekly Bites | Comments Disabled
Worker Bees’ Daily Bites:
The week’s off to an interesting start! Here’s the latest from the world of health.
1) Bird Flu Gets Real
From those news nuts over at The Lede: Culling has begun in the UK to curtail bird flu . Regardless, nobody should be eating chicken nuggets.
That’s Fit reports  that kids are fatter than ever thanks to zero exercise and an abundance of junk food in everything from school cafeterias to Costco’s towering shelves. Is this a surprise?
We can all moan and groan about it, but better to be proactive. Maybe you have kids. Maybe you are a kid. Either way, these steps are non-negotiable when it comes to health:
- Daily exercise of some sort. It can be as basic as walking home from school, mowing the lawn, helping out with household chores, or walking the dog. But exercise is a must. Make it a requirement for TV and computer privileges. Worried about enforcing it? You make them brush their teeth, do their homework and occasionally even bathe. Add this to the list.
- Daily vegetable intake, preferably not fried. Whether you spend an hour on Sundays putting together baggies of veggie snacks, or whether you make them do it for themselves, get veggies into your kids! Kids love junk food. Their taste buds are literally wired for it. It’s probably not realistic to think they aren’t going to eat junk ever, but you can at least keep it out of the house. Always serve a salad for dinner, and keep washed fruit available at all times. Kids don’t mind peas or green beans – even the most finicky kids will eat a bowl of peas. Kids do crave starch, but keep those options green. Avoid the fries, tater tots, chips and other pale starches.
- Lie. Tell them eating healthy will diminish acne, mood swings and body odor. (Actually, it’s not even a lie).
- Enact and enforce a zero-tolerance soda ban. As far as your kids are concerned, soda is Satan.
Kids are gonna do stupid stuff – you can’t watch their every move. But you have more influence than you may think, so use it. This means setting a good example, of course!
Diet toffee? Tea-coffee? Hipster tofu?
No, TOFI stands for something else entirely , and it’s a…big…problem.
4) Enviga’s Going Down!
5) Making Single People Everywhere Feel Really Fabulous
Thanks, Scotsman . No, seriously, thanks. This study is small, merely highlights reasonable correlation (rating your own emotions: not exactly the gold standard of scientific inquiry), and also, it’s totally annoying. It makes sense that the more socially active and fulfilled you are, the healthier you will be. Studies prove that consistently. This is more about finding something sensational to whip up on a Monday. If we were betting bees, we’d lay good money that tonight’s news will start with: “Stay tuned: one more reason why you are doing everything wrong for your health!” Which isn’t really a risky bet, since that’s what they say every night. You’re not doing everything wrong. You’re here, aren’t ya?
6) Quote Me
Things Big Puff (that’s Big Tobacco, not Puff Daddy…er, Diddy…Diddly? Duddy?) really must regret saying. Thanks, Healthbolt. Also check out the Australian cig warnings. Subtle!
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/tofi-enviga/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 curtail bird flu: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/bird-flu-fight-160000-turkeys-gassed-burned-in-britain/
 That’s Fit reports: http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/02/05/adolescents-have-poor-diet-and-lack-of-exercise-according-to-new/
 something else entirely: http://www.healthnewsblog.com/cgi-bin/hnblog.pl?hnblog=1215061
 Mark’s Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/index.php?s=Enviga
 Now the big guns are getting on Coke’s case: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/05/AR2007020500671.html
 Thanks, Scotsman: http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=193352007
 Things Big Puff : http://healthbolt.net/2007/02/05/10-things-big-tobacco-wishes-theyd-never-said/
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.