- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
This Is a Cringe-Free Headline about Nuts
Posted By Worker Bee On November 17, 2006 @ 12:52 pm In Diet,Health,Humor,Nutrition,Smart Fuel | 7 Comments
Just like our beloved eggs  (oh, what a nutritional ball of goodness), nuts are victimized by painful puns: Get Nutty! We’re Nuts about Nuts! You’re Nuts if You Don’t Eat Them!
We don’t do that here. Nuts are a Smart Fuel deserving of some smart words. Here’s why we think nuts are great for your health. Just don’t go…crazy…with the portions. (Whew – that was close!)
- Excellent fats that boost mental clarity, love your liver, and help your heart.
- Protein and fiber
- Selenium. This handy mineral activates an antioxidant called glutathione peroxidase. You don’t have to remember that, just know it’s really, really good at helping fight free radical oxidation in the body. Some studies suggest selenium might even help fight cancer.
- Antioxidant E and vitamin A. Since these are fat-soluble vitamins (meaning they only work with fat), nuts are nature’s perfectly engineered delivery systems.
The best nuts:
- Hazelnuts, filberts, walnuts, almonds
Less-nutritious (but sort of decent) nuts:
- Peanuts (not actually a nut), pine nuts, cashews
About an ounce a day is a reasonable portion size – think one small handful.
Nutty Facts 
More Smart Fuel 
Technorati Tags: fat soluble vitamins , antioxidants , peanuts , almonds , filberts , hazelnuts , cashews , walnuts , nutritional value of nuts , selenium , vitamin E , glutathione peroxidase , nut portion size recommendation , best nuts 
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/this-is-a-cringe-free-headline-about-nuts/
URLs in this post:
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/feeds/?utm_source=wwsgd&utm_medium=intro_note&utm_campaign=newsletter
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
 eggs: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/eggs-are-good-for-more-than-silly-cliches/
 Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almonds
 Nutty Facts: http://www.newstarget.com/006109.html
 More Smart Fuel: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/smart-fuel/
 fat soluble vitamins: http://technorati.com/tag/fat+soluble+vitamins
 antioxidants: http://technorati.com/tag/antioxidants
 peanuts: http://technorati.com/tag/peanuts
 almonds: http://technorati.com/tag/almonds
 filberts: http://technorati.com/tag/filberts
 hazelnuts: http://technorati.com/tag/hazelnuts
 cashews: http://technorati.com/tag/cashews
 walnuts: http://technorati.com/tag/walnuts
 nutritional value of nuts: http://technorati.com/tag/nutritional+value+of+nuts
 selenium: http://technorati.com/tag/selenium
 vitamin E: http://technorati.com/tag/vitamin+E
 glutathione peroxidase: http://technorati.com/tag/glutathione+peroxidase
 nut portion size recommendation: http://technorati.com/tag/nut+portion+size+recommendation
 best nuts : http://technorati.com/tag/best+nuts
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.