Let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Sisson. I’m 63 years young. I live and work in Malibu, California. In a past life I was a professional marathoner and triathlete. Now my life goal is to help 100 million people get healthy. I started this blog in 2006 to empower people to take full responsibility for their own health and enjoyment of life by investigating, discussing, and critically rethinking everything we’ve assumed to be true about health and wellness...Tell Me More
You’re still here? Go eat these foods!
Okay, we cringe a little bit at the word “superfood”. No food wears a cape. Still, there are foods that pack major nutritional punch.
A few of our top picks:
1. Berries, because…
– Blueberries are best, but blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, strawberries and bilberries are all excellent
– They contain antioxidants called anthocyanins
– They fight infections (especially urinary tract infections)
– How much: 1/2 cup whenever you like
2. Fish, because…
– Choose deep-‘n-cold-water fish like salmon and red tuna
– Northern Pacific is better than Atlantic (less pollution)
– You can’t get enough Omega-3 fatty acids
– How much: twice a week, or more, plus an Omega supplement
– Remember: Don’t fry or bread it!
3. Dark, Leafy Greens, because…
– Pick spinach, kale, bok choy, chard, dark lettuce
– Greens contain beta-carotene, C, folate, iron, magnesium, carotenoids, phytochemicals, and antioxidants.
– Greens reduce your risk of diabetes because they’re easy on your insulin response mechanism. In other words, they won’t give you a sugar rush, jelly belly, or mood swing.
Look for more heroic foods soon. No spandex tights – we promise.
[tags] greens, spinach, kale, bok choy, chard, vitamins, antioxidants, phytochemicals, nutrients, magnesium, iron, folate, beta-carotene, omega-3’s, fish, salmon, red tuna, berries, anthocyanins, superfoods [/tags]