- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
Tips for Sprint Training
Posted By Mark Sisson On January 8, 2008 @ 7:03 pm In Fitness,Health,How To,Men's Health,Sprinting,Women's Health | 22 Comments
Though I don’t believe that the road to health is paved with incessant high endurance exercise, it doesn’t mean that I “can” cardio entirely either. Just as humans didn’t evolve to eat frosted wheat squares for breakfast, I don’t think three hours on the treadmill (or the hill over yonder) would’ve made much sense to your forefathers and mothers of a different era.
Instead, let’s talk “caveman cardio,” those short bursts of maximum output that caught the dinner or protected the tribe. This kind of cardio—practicing brief spurts of high intensity power and speed—both uses the body the way it was meant to be used and sustains the physical potential required for these activities.
Check out my sprinting on the beach video  to see how I go about it. But there’s more than one way to work in a sprint. Here are several “sprint” alternatives that range from old school to everyday.
* Fast paced sports: Go for a pickup game of basketball, or join a soccer or hockey league to get in your sprints for the week. Another family favorite of mine: ultimate Frisbee.
* Rope jumping: I know, you can’t get “Eye of the Tiger” out of your head even thinking about a rope. Download it already and just go with it.
* Speed laps around the rink: For those of you who are landlocked and snowbound these days, hit the ice and fly. Same goes for inline skating on the boardwalk. Just watch out for the rest of us while you’re at it.
* Dancing: I’m not much for T.V., but have you seen the workout those Dancing With the Stars folks get? Surprise your partner with Latin dancing lessons, or just pop in a CD and declare “dance party!” with the kids. (Trust me, they’ll outlast you.)
* Power cycling: Pretend you’re giving Lance a run for his money. I know, but we can dream, can’t we?
* Water sprints: Do some race-worthy laps around the pool, or race your golden retriever to a tennis ball. (You have no chance.)
* Mountain hiking: Nothing gets the blood moving like the challenge of a peak. And the view? I think it even beats my beach. (Did I say that?)
* Everyday sprints for mundane purposes: If you’re up for the run but short on time, try multi-tasking. Run your mail to the nearest drop box, or race to the cleaners for those shirts. It’s fun to keep the neighbors guessing.
Got some new or novel ideas to pass along (mundane multi-tasking or otherwise)? Join the forum  and share your thoughts, or hit us up with a comment.
paulaloe  Flickr Photo (CC)
This post was brought to you by the Damage Control Master Formula , independently proven as the most comprehensive high-potency antioxidant multivitamin available anywhere. With the highest antioxidant per dollar value and a complete anti-aging, stress, and cognition profile, the Master Formula is truly the only multivitamin supplement you will ever need. Toss out the drawers full of dozens of different supplements with questionable potency and efficacy and experience the proven Damage Control difference!
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sprint-training/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 sprinting on the beach video: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/marks-beach-sprints/
 Join the forum: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum
 paulaloe: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulaloe/512290568/
 The Single Best Stretch: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-stretch/
 10 Workouts That Don’t Feel Like Workouts: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/trick-workouts/
 The Real Reason We Don’t Exercise: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/boomers/
 Damage Control Master Formula: http://www.masterformula.com/
 Mark’s Daily Apple feeds: http://www.marksdailyapple.com../../feeds/
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.