- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
Posted By Mark Sisson On March 23, 2007 @ 2:39 pm In Smart Fuel | 5 Comments
This week’s Smart Fuel:
That’s right: plants.
It seems that marketers are on an eternal quest for the ultimate “superfood” with which to ply health-obsessed consumers. First there was margarine. Then bran. Then low-fat milk. Then soy. (None of which, by the way, have anything remotely “super” about them: trans fat, sugar, more sugar, and chemicals. They are also all highly-processed “foods”. I’m not sure they should even be referred to as food.)
What makes plants such a smart fuel?
- Plants are the lowest-calorie food on the planet next to rice cakes..and air.
- Plants have almost no fat. What little fat they do have is excellent for your skin, organs, brain and digestive tract.
- Plants contain a wealth of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Plants, being made of plant cells, contain cellulose, an indigestible cell lining that we often call “fiber”. “Fiber” removes waste, toxins, and other harmful substances from your body. “Fiber” is linked to reduced risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and even reduces stress. “Fiber” is found in plants.
- The benefits continue: not only are plants the healthiest, tastiest, most nutritious foods on earth, they are also the cheapest. The myth persists that fresh food is expensive, but the truth is that processed snacks, meals and treats are far more costly than plants.
Plants have been around longer than humans and even rodents, and that’s saying something.
Plants come in some 36,000+ edible varieties for your gustatory pleasure. Plants grow everywhere. The theory that plants help one reduce body weight, body fat, major disease risk and even one’s “case of the Mondays” is compelling. Indeed, hundreds of thousands of studies have presented a convincing case in favor of plant consumption.
For those unfamiliar with plants (men of all ages; children aged 3-7; Uncle Ned), allow me to quell your apprehension: plants are completely edible.
Plants are also known as “greens”, “veggies”, “rabbit food”, and “vegetables”, a word derived from the Latin vegetal (or something like that). Plants are not addictive.
Here are a few pictures of plants that many humans now enjoy. You can find them in most stores:
Mint. An herb, which is a type of plant.
Artichoke. A delicious type of plant.
Cabbage. A very fibrous plant.
Crispy cone. Not a plant.
Technorati tags: vegetables, veggies, healthy food, plants, nutrition
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/plants/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 vegetables: http://technorati.com/tag/vegetables
 veggies: http://technorati.com/tag/veggies
 healthy food: http://technorati.com/tag/healthy+food
 plants: http://technorati.com/tag/plants
 nutrition: http://technorati.com/tag/nutrition
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.