- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
Posted By Mark Sisson On April 20, 2007 @ 3:40 pm In Diet,Health,Nutrition,Smart Fuel | 4 Comments
It’s a great time of year to enjoy fresh peas. We always keep plenty of bags of frozen peas around the Sisson household (well, the freezer, anyway). Peas make a quick, easy snack for the kids after sports’ practice or a long day at school that is far more nutritious than processed snack bars but won’t have anyone groaning about eating their vegetables.
Fresh peas are perfect right now, and they are an excellent way to get extra vitamins, fiber and protein into your meals.
A nutritional snapshot:
– One cup of peas contains a third of your daily requirement of fiber (though I personally recommend getting two or three times the 25-35 grams daily that the U. S. government recommends).
– Peas are famous for containing generous amounts of B vitamins, but they’re also rich in vitamin C (a third of your DV) and vitamin K (half your DV).
– Peas are rich in serotonin-boosting  tryptophan.
Toss fresh peas into:
– Salads: peas work well with many fruits, avocados, and tomatoes.
– Stir fries: replace rice with peas for a fiber-rich, veggie-intense variation.
– Plain yogurt: add the peas, some chopped walnuts or almonds, and a little balsamic vinegar. (Top notch protein, fiber and fatty acids for quick energy and stress relief.)
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/peas-are-smart/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 serotonin-boosting: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/serotonin-boosters/
 This is Ben’s Flickr Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/benshead/123467049/?#comment72157600099231613
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.