- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
A Real Pain in the Caduceus
Posted By Worker Bee On April 10, 2007 @ 7:13 pm In Big Agra,Diet,Health,Prevention,Raise Healthy Seedlings,Worker Bees' Weekly Bites | No Comments
Worker Bees’ Daily Bites:
More healthcare news out today makes it pretty clear that radical changes are in order. (By the way, this is a caduceus .)
News Item Uno: Morbid Obesity Is Up, Way Up
There are kinds of obesity? Yes, that’s right: there’s an entire taxonomy of overweight. Kinda sad that we need that, isn’t it? Obesity in general is up, but morbid obesity is way, way up  – dangerously so.
What we can do about this:
1. Fire off a letter to your senator . People do pay attention to letters. They know that for every letter they get, there are 1,000 more who share the sentiment.
2. Write letters to the CEOs of junk food companies  (oh yeah, pretty much every food company in America). Ask them if they enjoy sleeping in their 1000-thread count sheets children’s diabetes is paying for.
3. Eat fresh, whole foods, and keep the portions small. Teach your children and friends. Be annoying about it. (But not too annoying.)
News Item Dos: Kids Are Manipulated Like Crazy
The overwhelming majority of kiddie-aimed commercials feature junk food . In a recent study, literally no commercials advertised any fresh food. Theoretically, commercials may not influence adults – certainly up for debate – but children are highly vulnerable to marketing messages. This is the portion of the population that believes in Santa Claus, remember.
What we can do about this:
1. Again with the firing off of letters. How to: Make one good point, be brief, state what action you want them to take, and state what action you will take if they don’t.
2. Shield the commercials – and television in general – that your child is exposed to. Turn the tube off, or invest 5 bucks a month in Tivo.
3. Don’t buy junk – companies sell this garbage because we are buying it.
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/obesity-bites/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 this is a caduceus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus
 but morbid obesity is way, way up: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20070409/morbid-obesity-bulge-gets-bigger?src=RSS_PUBLIC
 letter to your senator: http://senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
 letters to the CEOs of junk food companies: http://www.foodprocessing.com/articles/2006/165.html
 majority of kiddie-aimed commercials feature junk food: http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/217095/
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.