- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
9 Natural Cold and Flu Remedies (plus one)
Posted By Mark Sisson On October 5, 2007 @ 5:50 pm In Health,How To,Men's Health,Prevention,Raising Healthy Children,Sleep,Women's Health | 20 Comments
A couple of you have emailed me about natural cold and flu treatments since we published the post earlier this week about cold medications possibly being harmful for children. Convenient timing: WebMD  has a handy list that caught my eye. There are some smart tips which I’ll touch on briefly here. I’d also like for you all to please add in any relevant tips you happen to recommend. And while I’m at it, before we all head out for the weekend I want to thank you for being such a terrific group. Your diverse and thoughtful comments, criticisms, and links add value to every single post at our ever-growing health community. And your emails really do make my day. While I can’t always respond, I do read every single one. So, thank you.
Now, about this list. Simple, smart, natural. I like it.
1. Blow your nose properly. (Gently, frequently, and press one nostril at a time.)
2. Don’t cut sleep. (No need to wear your body down during cold and flu season.)
3. Gargle salt water, vinegar, or lemon water. (Or drink Sara’s devil’s brew…)
4. Drink hot liquids (tea, broth, even plain, hot water).
5. Take a hot, steamy shower or visit the sauna. (A personal favorite.)
6. Menthol and camphor. (The article recommends dabbing a bit under your nasal passages. These salves are also great on the chest and back of the neck if you’re really feeling poorly.)
7. Hot water bottles or ice packs to ease aches, fever and other discomfort. (We mentioned this earlier.)
8. Sleep with an extra pillow for proper drainage. (Not sure about this one. I place comfort over drainage, but maybe it works for you.)
9. Don’t fly. (If possible, don’t travel when you’re sick, especially long distances crossing several time zones. And in general, obviously, just take it easy.)
10. My extra point: make sure you’re living a preventive lifestyle to begin with so your immunity isn’t compromised. Get enough sleep , eat natural “primal” foods , consider supplementation, and most important at this time of year, control that stress.
Let’s hear your tips.
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/natural-cold-and-flu-remedies/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/9-tips-to-treat-colds-and-flu-the-natural-way?src=RSS_PUBLIC
 sleep: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sleep-and-heart-disease/
 natural “primal” foods: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-cant-eat-anything/
 What About Flu Shots?: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flu-shots/
 Is intermittent fasting healthy?: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/
 How to avoid jet lag (really): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/jet-lag/
 Video: How to eat healthy at the gas station: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-eats-at-a-gas-station/
 10 Rules for Aging Well: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-rules-of-aging-well/
 Slice Photo on Flickr (CC): http://www.flickr.com/photos/slice/93483676/?addedcomment=1#comment72157602274547798
 Mark’s Daily Apple feeds: http://www.marksdailyapple.com../../feeds/
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.