Marks Daily Apple
Serving up health and fitness insights (daily, of course) with a side of irreverence.
26 Nov

Happy Thanksgiving

The staff and I are taking the day off to honor the holiday, but I didn’t want to let the opportunity slip by without extending my gratitude to you, the MDA community. To all our readers, I want to say thank you for your incredible enthusiasm and involvement (in the comment boards, in the forum, and in spreading the word about the site and book). It’s been a truly amazing and transformative year here at Mark’s Daily Apple, and I hope it’s been a successful and enjoyable journey for you as well. Of course, I realize that not everyone is in holiday mode today. Actually, MDA had visitors from 189 countries worldwide last month – Australia to Sweden, India to Brazil, Canada to Hong Kong, and on goes the list. Nonetheless, I hope you all have much to be grateful for today. Happy Thanksgiving – and best wishes – to everyone out there!

You want comments? We got comments:

Imagine you’re George Clooney. Take a moment to admire your grooming and wit. Okay, now imagine someone walks up to you and asks, “What’s your name?” You say, “I’m George Clooney.” Or maybe you say, “I’m the Clooninator!” You don’t say “I’m George of George Clooney Sells Movies Blog” and you certainly don’t say, “I’m Clooney Weight Loss Plan”. So while spam is technically meat, it ain’t anywhere near Primal. Please nickname yourself something your friends would call you.

  1. Thanks Mark.

    I’m going to completely cheat today and go for 20% healthy and 80% bad for me.

    George wrote on November 26th, 2009
  2. I’m one of the readers from Sweden – Thanks for a great website!

    Cajsa wrote on November 26th, 2009
  3. Thank you for creating this site, for writing your book, and for helping me figure out how to normalize my blood sugars. I owe you hugely, Mark.

    Griff wrote on November 26th, 2009
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Mark. Thank you, thank you, for hosting this site and writing your book; you have literally transformed my life and I will be forever grateful to you.

    Sharonll wrote on November 26th, 2009
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Mark. I’ve been reading since July, but this is by far one of the things that has been the most influential on my lifestyle.

    Brett wrote on November 26th, 2009
  6. I’m with George – it’s a 20-80 day for me. A few major cheat days a year aren’t going to hurt me (much).

    Annika wrote on November 26th, 2009
  7. This site is amazing and I think keeps a lot of people on track. But for today I am def taking advantage of the 80/20 principle….all day, not just for the turkey meal!! Bring it on!

    Ashley wrote on November 26th, 2009
  8. A UK based grok here just wanting to say that I’m thankful for Mark and all the MDA team as well as the great community – I’ve been ‘grokking’ since April and the positivity and enthusiasm of this place has helped me stay on the path, best decision of my life! Peace all & have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Chris wrote on November 26th, 2009
  9. Thanks from Norway. Excellent site! It is a big inspiration for me to read and follow you all!

    Frode Matinsen wrote on November 26th, 2009
  10. what is 20/80? I have ordered the book, maybe I will get the answer there…

    frotin wrote on November 26th, 2009
    • 20-80 would be 20% primal and 80% bad for you, which is what I plan to do today for Thanksgiving!

      Mark has the 80-20 rule, meaning you should strive to eat 100% primal, but don’t stress too much about it; if you wind up being 80% primal you are doing fine.

      Annika wrote on November 26th, 2009
    • You’ll definitely learn more about the 80/20 concept when you receive Mark’s book. Meanwhile, 80/20 is 100% primal, but that on some occasions when a meal isn’t 100% primal, then at least 80% of THAT MEAL should be primal, and the other 20% outside of primal.

      It doesn’t necessarily mean that 80% of your diet is primal and the other 20% not. This concept is applied to periodic meals, not to absolute dietary habit.

      But I agree entirely with Annika that you should never stress too much about your food intake, as that’s probably just as unhealthy as (if not more than) eating a 100% non-primal meal occasionally. (But, don’t let this happen, or you’ll die a horrible death.) :)

      Johnny at The Lean Saloon wrote on November 26th, 2009
  11. Happy Thanksgiving, all! Many thanks for this resource, the book and the “spirited” exchanges in the forum. I’m definitely getting another education and expanding my diet. I have a perfectly primal (very simple) dinner planned!

    Del Mar Mel wrote on November 26th, 2009
  12. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on MDA from the Dominican Republic!!

    Ruth wrote on November 26th, 2009
  13. I’m thankful for this site, and all sites that have impacted my health, as well as my wife’s. This morning she weighs 35 pounds lighter than she did 6 months ago when she first begun the Paleo lifestyle. And we absolutely do not starve ourselves, nor do we spend our lives in some gym. Thank you to MDA and the community.

    Looking forward to the future!

    Johnny at The Lean Saloon wrote on November 26th, 2009
  14. I became a reader here, and I’ve probably sent some of my readers here too. But Happy Thanksgiving Mark and readers.

    Shaun wrote on November 26th, 2009
  15. Happy Thanksgiving to all! My thanks to Mark for making this Thanksgiving less harmful to me than previous ones. First of all, this is the first year I paid attention to details other than caloric excess. Also, through portion control and more selectiveness at the family buffet, I was able to minimize the damage from today’s cheat. Finally, tomorrow I will reapply myself to primal/paleo principles, and I will still be much better off than I was a year ago.


    Ed wrote on November 26th, 2009
  16. Happy Thanksgiving Mark! MDA is such a terrific site…and The Primal Blueprint is one of my most favorite books in a long, long time. Thanks fopr all you and the folks at MDA do!

    Fred wrote on November 26th, 2009

Leave a Reply

If you'd like to add an avatar to all of your comments click here!

© 2016 Mark's Daily Apple

Subscribe to the Newsletter and Get a Free Copy
of Mark Sisson's Fitness eBook and more!