- Mark's Daily Apple - http://www.marksdailyapple.com -
13 Simple, Timeless Kitchen Hacks (Banish Tears, Cuts, Burns, Smells & Stains!)
Posted By Worker Bee On July 9, 2007 @ 3:39 pm In Health,How To,Personal Improvement,Prevention | 28 Comments
1. Finally, a use for old potatoes: if you have added too much salt to a recipe, toss in a peeled potato while your dish is still cooking to prevent your tongue from shriveling up like a slug upon first bite. (Just don’t use taters that have any green tint creeping into the flesh. That’s a sure sign of the toxin solanine . Generally, solanine will not hurt you in small quantities, but just to be safe, avoid the kryptonite-hued spuds.)
2. Did you burn your finger? Immediately rub the singed spot with spicy mustard to draw out the pain. Bonus: this is a lickable solution.
3. Leftover wine? Pour the remains of the bottle into an ice cube tray, freeze, and store for future use in your drunk marinara . (Leftover wine = good problem.)
4. To remove the smell of garlic and onions from your fingers, simply run your digits along a stainless steel blade. Carefully! This won’t work for your mouth.
5. To keep sliced apples and avocados from browning, drizzle with lemon or lime juice.
6. Did you catch one of those invisible hair-like splinters that rivals a paper cut for the Most Annoying Pain Possible award? Simply press a strip of tape gently to your skin. This works far better than scraping away at your skin with fingernails or tweezers.
7. Don’t hatch your batch. To prevent cracked shells when making boiled eggs, simply add a pinch of salt to the water.
8. Keep tomatoes and citrus fruits like lemons far from the refrigerator for the nicest fragrance, juiciest results, and truest flavor (we’re horrifying grammar teachers everywhere, as we speak. Write. Read. Surf. Arrrgh!!!). Oh: nestled in a bowl in the sun is best.
9. To clean those ever-impossible crevices in vases and pitchers, just drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, fill the item with water, and wait.
10. To prevent your eyeballs from putting on a miniature waterworks show when you are cutting up onions or shallots, simply press your tongue to the roof of your open mouth (and do not breathe through your nose).
11. Rather than taking harsh detergents to your pots and pans, scrub them clean with a dry paper towel and coarse salt. This is invaluable for cast-iron cookware.
12. To remove those fossilized food splatters in the microwave, place a water-soaked sponge inside and “cook” on high for two minutes. Leave the microwave door closed for another five minutes (you don’t want to scald yourself). The steam will loosen up the food and you can easily wipe it all off without the use of chemical cleaners.
13. Fix a finger nick with clear nail polish (wait for the bleeding to stop, silly). The polish will s-t-i-n-g momentarily, but you’ll have a waterproof, instant bandage that won’t get in the way of your slicing and dicing…food, this time.
What handy tips do you recommend? Speak up , baby!
Most Popular Posts 
Useful Top 10 Lists 
Article printed from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com
URL to article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/handy-kitchen-tips/
URLs in this post:
 Start Here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welcome-to-marks-daily-apple/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_start_here
 Primal Blueprint 101: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_pb_101
 free weekly newsletter: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/subscribe-to-blog/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_newsletter
 books: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Books-and-Media/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_books
 support options: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Services/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_services
 supplements: http://primalblueprint.com/categories/Store/Supplements/?utm_source=mda_wwsgd&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mda_wwsgd_supplements
 toxin solanine: http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/potato.asp
 drunk marinara: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chocolate-and-wine/
 Speak up: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum
 Most Popular Posts: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/best-of-mda/
 Useful Top 10 Lists: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/the-tuesday-10/
 Source 1: http://www.power-yoga.com/Community/KitchenTips/tabid/159/mid/520/dnnprintmode/true/Default.aspx?SkinSrc=%5bG%5dSkins%2f_default%2fNo%20Skin&ContainerSrc=%5bG%5dContainers%2f_default%2fNo%20Container
 2: http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/CleaningTips.html
 kitchen tips: http://technorati.com/tag/kitchen+tips
 household remedies: http://technorati.com/tag/household+remedies
 useful tips: http://technorati.com/tag/useful+tips
 cleaning: http://technorati.com/tag/cleaning
 cooking tips : http://technorati.com/tag/cooking+tips
Copyright © 2009 Mark's Daily Apple. All rights reserved.