Worker Bees’ Daily Bites:
Not just the latest news – the best!
1) Folic Acid Rocks
A major study on folate is making a splash. Scientists say folic acid appears to help stave cognitive decline and may even be linked to reduced chances of degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. What is certain is that folic acid appears to aid in memory, cognition, and information processing speed. Clickativity!
Folic acid is found in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and a daily multi.
2) A Must Read!
Wow – here’s an excellent op-ed piece on the psychology of cancer fears. The great tragedy of the cancer situation today – which still kills half a million Americans every year – is that modern advances in both prevention and medicine mean excellent survival rates, but many people wait so long to get standard screenings it’s often too late. It’s the “fear of the known” clinging to our national mindset from days when cancer truly was a death sentence.
3) Common Commode
Drug advances. Scientific knowledge. Nutritional information. Exercise expertise. Lasers. Ingenious surgical procedures. According to the British Medical Journal, none of this compares to…the flusher. When you’re feeling bummed about your day, just remember, before 1840, you could be feeling bummed about your day and have to use an outhouse.
4) Oh yeah…these things do beat stress!
The Dumb Little Man is not dumb at all (but that cheesy line sure was – our bad). While he does invent statistics (and gleefully admits this), his implementation/identification point is right on the money. And his list of ways to beat stress is so wonderful and so obvious, you’ll be wondering why you didn’t do this stuff sooner. If you already have, well, good for you. Bees are slower.
Web it out:
What Mark and the Bees read. Translation (whew): Lifestyle changes slash your diabetes risk in half!
“Lifestyle changes”. Kinda nebulous, right?
Here’s how, in 5 quick steps:
1. Stop eating so much sugar! Cut out as much sugar, refined grain, starch, and other pale pathetic excuses for food as you can.
2. No more sugary drinks, either.
3. Daily exercise of some sort. Walking is just fine and dandy!
4. Stop with the self-destructive stuff: smoking, drinking, too much food, not enough sleep.
5. Reduce inflammation in three easy steps: switch from bad fats to good fats, reduce stress, and flood your body with antioxidants from food and a good, sturdy multi.