Thread: Eating Bone Marrow (First Time Experience) page

Gregory Grok is offline Member

Question Eating Bone Marrow (First Time Experience)

Shop Now
    I ate some bone marrow yesterday afternoon and I have to say that it was very good. I think I may have eaten a little too much though. I ate 4 bones that were at least 2 1/2 to 3 inches and I was full for the rest of the day. Even as I type this at 8:42 est I'm still not hungry. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I have.... I love marrow. My grandmother--who lived down on the farm, and then when she married my grandfather back in the 1920's, they lived in Europe for 12 years and picked up alot of the local eating habits--used to give me marrow on club crackers when I was growing up. I recently turned my hubby onto marrow goodness. I watched a show on food network (Alex's day off maybe....) and the host made chicken stock with beef shank bones in it for the marrow to put in the stock. I have been taught to put 'trotters' in my stock (raw pork feet) for the gelatin, but never marrow bones. Something to add to the 'to do' list.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I only eat buffalo marrow because they sell it for a reasonable price at my farmer's market. I've found that there is a lot of variability as to how much marrow can be in a particular bone. Some bones of the same size have little marrow, others have several big spoonfulls. Yesterday I was making stock with some big buffalo knuckles. After 2 days on low in my crockpot I took out the remains of the big bones which had broken down into smaller pieces after the connective tissue broke down. Inside some of these smaller pieces were smaller marrow pockets where the marow had not rendered out into the stock. The marrow was perfectly seasoned and brown from simmering for two days. I immediately scooped it out and ate it, it was super delicious. It is satisfying and filling, I could see a few spoonfulls curbing your hunger. My dog goes crazy when I cook it, I always let him lick the plate afterwards.

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    My dog goes crazy when I cook it, I always let him lick the plate afterwards.
    haha that is so cute!
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    how do you get the marrow out? How does one go about doing this?

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    First (unless you are starting with a big bone you are going to simmer for several hours or you can smash apart) you have to cut the bones down to size usally 2 to 6 inches long--butcher usually does that part. Wash in several charges of water and/or store overnight in soaking water. Bake at 450F for 20 to 25 minutes, let cool for a minute or two, then eat. If you are baking something else, I've also done an hour at 350F. They used to make marrow spoons, I may try and buy one. For now, I have a 1/2 TSP metal measuring spoon that is long and slender which I use to scoop or push out the marrow, anything that is long and slender, like some baby/toddler spoons, would probably work. You can push out all the marrow and season, put on a cracker, spread on something else, eat a scoop at a time etc., use your cooking imagination!

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    Marrows are tasty! I suggest about everyone eat them on a regular basis.

In fact, i might go buy some and cook some in a few days.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

Gregory Grok is offline Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I may have to curb how many bones I consume at once. Like I mentioned before, four bones may be way too much marrow. Has anyone had a feeling of extreme fullness after consuming the marrow. My only side dish was two large, scrambled eggs. I may have to eat some with a larger meal next time.

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    it is normal you were full (depending on how big the bones were and all). Fat is quite filling.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com