Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal weight page

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Ideal weight

Primal Fuel
    With some past eating "issues", my image of ideal weight is a little skewed (at least I can admit it!). I am 5'7" female, medium build, pretty decent muscle mass. What is my ideal weight? I'm not talking BMI- I mean to look fit and healthy, what's ideal?

How do I know when I've reached it? Every time I've set a goal weight and gotten there, I decide I was wrong and keep trying to loose more. (OK, maybe those issues aren't so in the past.....)

Thanks!

MattyD is offline Member
    I wouldn't worry about weight, I would need to be 200lbs to not be overweight according to BMI, but if I was nearer 250 lbs I would look athletic, muscular and powerful.

Unfortunately I'd let your waist and looks be your guideline rather than your weight. Saying that, many of my friends look good around your height and they're around 10 stone/140lbs.

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    I'd also say around 140-150, especially if you're more muscular than the average woman.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I am 5' 7" and would look quite thick at 140. Depends on your bone structure....I am very small boned and am about to settle into maintenance at 120.
    Last edited by dacec; 06-16-2010 at 06:15 AM.

batty is offline Senior Member
    please forgive me for the attention whoring photos, but i want to illustrate a point.

this is me 8 years ago:

this is me now:

i am the same weight in both of these photos. except, i am *8* clothing sizes smaller in the second photo. that number on the scale does not matter. it is about the ratio of your muscle mass to body fat. focus on how you look and how your clothes fit you. you can achieve that fit "look" without losing any weight at all, really.

a good post to read is leigh peele's body fat percentage post. there's a lot of good pictures and examples that further illustrate the point.
    Last edited by batty; 06-16-2010 at 06:10 AM. Reason: i use illustrate too much

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I'd say go by the mirror not by the scale...

I'm currently 6' tall and have dropped down to just above 160... a number that if you would have asked me prior to going Primal I would have told you that it is waaay to thin...but now that I'm here I can see that I could stand to drop a couple more lbs of fat... although if I gain more muscle in the process I'm not complaining :-P

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Batty, your pictures are striking, as are those in the link you shared. It's great to have a visualization of various body fat percentages.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    i am the same weight in both of these photos. except, i am *8* clothing sizes smaller in the second photo. that number on the scale does not matter. it is about the ratio of your muscle mass to body fat. focus on how you look and how your clothes fit you. you can achieve that fit "look" without losing any weight at all, really.
    agreed. Im up 15lbs since starting PB and down several inches in the midsection. Shoulders and arms getting bigger. Weight tells very little.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    My ideal weight is what ever I weigh when my lower abs get the rest of the way uncovered and then builds from there as I keep on working out.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    Batty, your pictures are striking, as are those in the link you shared. It's great to have a visualization of various body fat percentages.
    well thank you! i think it realyl is important to see the different body types and percentages. i think basing your 'fitness' on what you weigh is incredibly CW and something we need to snap ourselves out of, especially females who are usually pressured to weigh as little as possible. i get SO tired of saying "i weigh 155lbs BUT i am a size 6" because the mental images one usually conjures up when visualizing a 5'6" 155lb woman isn't the best. the more people grab a true understanding of that, the better!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast