Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal weight page 2

Autumn is offline Member
    Shop Now
    OMG! I just checked out the link Batty (with nice pics!) gave, and tried to find someone with my body fat percentage: 38.4 % … the 30 % body fat picture looked like 1 me. The 25 % looked more me. That’s 13 % off to the visible eye! How can that be? I could understand 5 % off, but 13 %! That’s a whole normal woman’s healthy average body fat percentage.

I never trusted a scale … now I don’t trust this either. Think I’ll stick to things being okay when I'm falling in love with my mirror.

Autumn

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    OMG! I just checked out the link Batty (with nice pics!) gave, and tried to find someone with my body fat percentage: 38.4 % … the 30 % body fat picture looked like 1 me. The 25 % looked more me. That’s 13 % off to the visible eye! How can that be? I could understand 5 % off, but 13 %! That’s a whole normal woman’s healthy average body fat percentage.

I never trusted a scale … now I don’t trust this either. Think I’ll stick to things being okay when I'm falling in love with my mirror.

Autumn
    were you using a BF scale to get your BF%? they can be incredibly misleading.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Russ is offline Senior Member
    I feel odd when it comes to what my "ideal" weight is supposed to be, at my height fitday says i should be 160-200lbs. . but i was over 200lbs freshman year of highschool and all throughout highschool while playing varsity lacross/football . . i honestly cant imagine myself at or below 200lbs . . .

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    anyone have a good body fat calculator?

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Autumn
    That's what I thought too! I calculated my BF using an online calc, and it said 29%. But I thought I looked more like 20%. Maybe I'M skewed!
    Last edited by aimlow; 06-16-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Autumn is offline Member
    Aimlow maybe you and I are just too unique to be put into a formula! Yep, that's it!

Batty, I used an online calculator for BF like aimlow AND some little hand held body fat measuring instrument and both say 38 %. So either their both right or both based on the same flawed way of calculating BF. If it's correct and I calculate LMB I'd have to lose 26 kg to put me at 12 % BF and then I'd weigh 59 kg. Now, I've worked as a smith for 12 years and trained Taekwondo and Karate for several years and I know that 67 kg made me lean; muscular WITH feminine curves ... 59 kg would just look anorexic! I’ve always thought muscles looked good on a woman – even bodybuilding women! So no way in hell am I ever going to weigh 59 kg! I weigh 80 now (172 cm tall) … Think I’ll just drop all the weighing and BF measuring and use my eyes. Grok didn’t have either haha. But it’s still the only way to paint a picture on a forum.

Autumn

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    anyone have a good body fat calculator?
    Here's one that uses the Navy's calculations.
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Aimlow and Autumn, I have found all of the online calculators problematic (yes, ALL). The clincher for me was when I was inserting different numbers for weight (+/- 5 lbs) and measurements (wrist, hips, waist, etc. - +/- a few inches) into one of the calculators -- just wanted to play around a little. It had me at +/- 2% of XX% BF regardless of what I put in, and there's no way that would be accurate. Strive to be healthy, happy, and embrace how you look regardless of where you are on your journey!

batty, thank you for yet another great post with thought-provoking information. You are the BOMB and a fantastic role model. As someone who has also struggled with anorexia and bulimia in the past (and still have a few residual body image and food issues), I second your comments on the ridiculous torment people, especially women, are put through when it comes to 'ideal' weight. Ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs can all be beautiful if they're healthy in body and mind (and spirit if you're into that).

batty is offline Senior Member
    Aimlow maybe you and I are just too unique to be put into a formula! Yep, that's it!

Batty, I used an online calculator for BF like aimlow AND some little hand held body fat measuring instrument and both say 38 %. So either their both right or both based on the same flawed way of calculating BF. If it's correct and I calculate LMB I'd have to lose 26 kg to put me at 12 % BF and then I'd weigh 59 kg. Now, I've worked as a smith for 12 years and trained Taekwondo and Karate for several years and I know that 67 kg made me lean; muscular WITH feminine curves ... 59 kg would just look anorexic! I’ve always thought muscles looked good on a woman – even bodybuilding women! So no way in hell am I ever going to weigh 59 kg! I weigh 80 now (172 cm tall) … Think I’ll just drop all the weighing and BF measuring and use my eyes. Grok didn’t have either haha. But it’s still the only way to paint a picture on a forum.

Autumn
    i know, darlin, i know. your last bit i think is the most poignant. i think a lot of these calculators don't take into consideration any gains from muscle mass. so, sure, ok - you'd have to lose x pounds of fat and end up being y kg....if you kept your muscle mass the same. so, there's your opportunity to gain muscle to get to the weight you want without looking emaciated. basically, what those in the bodybuilding industry call 'bulking and cutting'. bonus: in the bulking phase, you get to eat your face off.

but really, you got it right. all the numbers, calculations, yadda yadda - what does it really matter? i mean, if you are just starting out, YES, they definitely help a lot, especially if you have a lot to lose [see: the paper towel theory, but both of you women sound like you're in pretty good shape to begin with, and y'all can just focus on what you see in the mirror and in your fitness achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnP View Post
    Aimlow and Autumn, I have found all of the online calculators problematic (yes, ALL). The clincher for me was when I was inserting different numbers for weight (+/- 5 lbs) and measurements (wrist, hips, waist, etc. - +/- a few inches) into one of the calculators -- just wanted to play around a little. It had me at +/- 2% of XX% BF regardless of what I put in, and there's no way that would be accurate. Strive to be healthy, happy, and embrace how you look regardless of where you are on your journey!

batty, thank you for yet another great post with thought-provoking information. You are the BOMB and a fantastic role model. As someone who has also struggled with anorexia and bulimia in the past (and still have a few residual body image and food issues), I second your comments on the ridiculous torment people, especially women, are put through when it comes to 'ideal' weight. Ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs can all be beautiful if they're healthy in body and mind (and spirit if you're into that).
    to wit: my BF% on my scale has me at 29% because the majority of my fat storage is in the lower regions. BF% measurement by measuring tape has me at 20, single site caliper measurements has me at 18, and 7 site caliper measurements both done by a professional and myself have me at 15.

at the end of the day, i dont get a special ribbon, award, or get to be first in line at the movies because that number. i do, however, get to look good and feel great without the restriction of numbers.

and autumn, thank you, that was really nice of you to say. i have to admit a lot of my stuff is reactionary, knowing what i've been through and seeing it happen around here and doing my damnedest to prevent it in someone else. all women everywhere really need to feel good about themselves no matter what, [yes! spirit too!] and that happiness is not achieved by attaining size 0 pants.

love,
    batty and her sizeable butt.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Griff is offline Senior Member
    When you look in the mirror and you like what you see, you've reached your ideal weight. My blood sugars and other blood tests are pretty much normal, and I'm still (I think) over 300 lbs. But I started this just under a year ago in tight 64-waist jeans, and now I'm in a 50 waist, and I think I look pretty damn good because I tend to find heavier men more attractive. My goal is to get down to 240 and maybe a 46 or 44; I don't think I'd look good to myself at a lower weight than that. I'm 5'9"ish.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast