Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Failure page

Rebekah is offline Junior Member

Primal Failure

Shop Now
    I need your help. Please.

I went Primal on January 16, 2010. I am now ten pounds heavier than I was last year, when I was engaging in chronic cardio and eating copious amounts of sugar. I feel like a Primal failure. Who gains weight while eating meat and vegetables?

I've avoided this forum in the past, mainly because it gets depressing to read about everyone else's success stories. All of you amazing individuals who have either dropped 80 lbs, defeated diabetes, made it down to 8% body fat, or now use your abs to wash your clothing inspire me Ö but I also struggle with the obvious comparisons.

Since I went primal, I slowly cut out fruit, nuts, and dairy (except butter and the occasional splash of heavy cream) in order to cut down my on carbohydrates. I aimed for about 1800 kcal per day, with intermittent fasting of about 24 hours once per week. My ratios are normally 65-70% fat, 25% protein, and 10% carb (from vegetables only).

Here are my stats: 25 y/o female, height 5í5, weight 147 lbs, body fat 31% (per my bathroom scale). I walk, lift, kickbox, and kayak, so I have a decent athletic background. I felt my best when I weighed around 140 lbs. Iím not petite, to be sure, so I donít have major weight loss goals. I just want to feel healthy again. I do have polycystic ovarian syndrome (which makes me insulin resistance) and very low blood pressure (80/40), if that helps.

So I beseech you - what has worked for you? What do you think will work for me? What should my ratios be? Calories? Workouts? Iím open to any and all advice.

Many thanks,
    Rebekah

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    While I don't have the answer, I encourage you to not give up.

One question: are you 'feeling better' than you did before? Despite the weight gain? While I've not lost weight yet...I feel tons better regarding stomach issues, joint pain, etc.

Hang in there...!

j
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    It sounds to me like you have major thyroid issues, esp with the PCOS. I, too, get frustrated by all the amazing success stories I read, when my own progress is very slow (about 3 lbs/month). I have been on thyroid meds for almost 5 years, and only recently learned of the connection between gluten intolerance and Hashimoto's disease (progressive destruction of thyroid tissue from an autoimmune response to gluten).

I suggest getting a full thyroid workup (TSH, free T4, free T3 at the very least). You can also do a quick check at home by simply taking your temperature. You'll get the best reading first thing in the morning before you get out of bed, but before I started taking cytomel, even my daytime temps would run 95.5-96.5. if it's your thyroid, you'll feel better pretty quickly once you start medication (I lost 20 lbs in the 1st 6 months taking meds, even though my dosage wasn't high enough yet, and on a SAD!)

Good luck!
    mikki

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    If you have IR you need to get your carbs below 5% if you are wanting to loose weight. Personally, I'd kill to be your weight. Well, maybe kill a rabbit.

I've been on and off this wagon since November, playing with the same 2lbs. Once I got excellent advice from a member here with IR who has lost weight, things started to change. I've lost 12 in the last month or so.

Once I basically cut out all veg/fruit (except leafy greens) and got my carbs around that number (fat at 80%, protein 15% and carb 5%) all of a sudden I started to loose weight.

PCOS makes things MUCH harder as you well know and we can't play by the normal rules.

The other thing to take into consideration is the Omega 6/3 ratios, I don't understand it very well, but Stabby posted a whole whack of links on a thread about Omega 3/6 within the last few days, basically talking about getting those ratios in line to aid in loosing weight.

And, have you been taking measurements? You're doing a LOT of work, are you building muscle? How are you feeling otherwise? I may have lost 12 lbs, but I've also lost 5 inches from around my body. AND thats with doing nothing extra, my husband is overseas, I run a business and have two small ones. By the time I have some time to myself to do some weights or excercise on my own I'm heading to bed. He comes home tomorrow and I expect that my arse will get kicked now that I'll have childcare and extra hands to do the work around here.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I hope you firgure out what may be holding you back from your goals. I can't figure this out either. When I did Atkins my weight went down extremely fast and I was eating anything and everything as long as it was low carb. Now, I'm eating everything healthy organic and natural that's low-carb and after an initial 5lb loss after 2-3 weeks, now for the past couple weeks, nothing. I'm 7 years older and perhaps my body is different since I did Atkins but what gives??

My only exception is eating fruits before I lift weights. Other than that most days are a 20 -30 carb day, with carbs coming from veggies. Keep us updated if things improve for you!!

PrimalChat is offline Junior Member
    Rebekah-

Although frustration may have set in, you're doing the right thing by questioning others. I also was gaining a little weight recently and it wasn't until I sat down and analyzed that I got a clearer picture of what was causing it. I determined it was water weight and muscle addition in my case, but I know that my stress is contributing to a cortisol increase as well. Ugh.

Track your actual intake of everything you eat, how much sleep you are getting, what your workouts consist of and how often, etc. and report back to help diagnose in addition to what others have suggested.

Don't lose the faith!
    Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Twitter: @jpickett1968

bobkat is offline Member
    @ Rebekah - thank you so much for starting this thread. I'm new to this and not having much success, but then I'm 62 and not as active as I should be. I also had some success on Atkins, but that slowed to playing with the same 2-3 pounds for weeks on end. I started looking into better nutrition, Paleo diet, etc. and that eventually led me here. The success stories inspire me, but I wonder if I'm too old, too damaged or whatever to get the full benefit from this. It doesn't help that I'm on a limited budget - can't get all the grass-fed, organic stuff that I'd like - and feeding a husband who eats cr@p like the typical American teenager. I'm far from giving up, but a small sign (drop a pound or two?) would certainly be nice.

At least I've found a hot new boyfriend - Molegular Grokologist - he just doesn't know it yet. Stalker in the works here.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    First, definitely stop thinking about "weight" as such... and concentrate on measurements. You could very well have lost fat and gained muscle which would add the pounds. (P.S. bathroom scale fat percentages are not accurate. Even the super duper fancy ones you to go get aren't always accurate-- Mark even wrote a post on it. So I'd use measurements to figure out body fat percentage instead.)

I agree with Mikki and Elorajade that other things are most likely contributing as well. You know you have PCOS and that will affect how your body loses weight. I'm hypothyroid and it's just not the same as it is for healthy people. So I've basically had to rewire my thinking that I'm eating this way for HEALTH first. Frustrating, as I have an extra 25 pounds I gained while my thyroid was spiraling out of control, but when I think about it, I need to do PB to get my body working the way it's supposed to first... then weight will change.

And it isn't fair that it's so much harder when you have these issues, and some people do a lot less with huge results. But you have to readjust your thinking to remember that you're healing yourself.

I know for me carbs have to be super low to see weight loss. Like under 50g for sure, and hopefully under 25g. But that's me... your mileage will most likely vary!

There are many people on here that are dealing with other health issues that are keeping PB from being a miracle weight loss tool. We get the frustration :-) And some of them have great suggestions that may help you out.

Oh, and I do double agree with the suggestion to get your thyroid checked out. If that's not the case, then super. If it is... well then you may find the reason for what's going on...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Sarahrob2248 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    First, definitely stop thinking about "weight" as such... and concentrate on measurements. You could very well have lost fat and gained muscle which would add the pounds. (P.S. bathroom scale fat percentages are not accurate. Even the super duper fancy ones you to go get aren't always accurate-- Mark even wrote a post on it. So I'd use measurements to figure out body fat percentage instead.)

I agree with Mikki and Elorajade that other things are most likely contributing as well. You know you have PCOS and that will affect how your body loses weight. I'm hypothyroid and it's just not the same as it is for healthy people. So I've basically had to rewire my thinking that I'm eating this way for HEALTH first. Frustrating, as I have an extra 25 pounds I gained while my thyroid was spiraling out of control, but when I think about it, I need to do PB to get my body working the way it's supposed to first... then weight will change.

And it isn't fair that it's so much harder when you have these issues, and some people do a lot less with huge results. But you have to readjust your thinking to remember that you're healing yourself.

I know for me carbs have to be super low to see weight loss. Like under 50g for sure, and hopefully under 25g. But that's me... your mileage will most likely vary!

There are many people on here that are dealing with other health issues that are keeping PB from being a miracle weight loss tool. We get the frustration :-) And some of them have great suggestions that may help you out.

Oh, and I do double agree with the suggestion to get your thyroid checked out. If that's not the case, then super. If it is... well then you may find the reason for what's going on...
    +1 on this. Don't even bother with scales - weight doesn't really give you an accurate picture of how your body is changing, and the bodyfat measurements are notoriously off. Never rely on those for accuracy - My friend is a MMA trainer and has around 8% bf measured by the fancy water displacement thingy (can't remember name). The scale said he had above 30%.

Also keep in mind this is a long process; you are essentially re-booting your body. Some people, especially those with a lot of fat to move, lose very quickly. The less you have to lose, sometimes the longer it takes.

Pay attention to other body signals - do you feel better? more energy? measurements are important as well, but don't obsess if they move some, then stall, then move again. I actually have gained weight since starting PB, but lost a size and 2inches.

Keep hanging on and give it some more time...

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone besides me recall reading that some studies show a low carb diet can exacerbate a hypothyroid condition? I remember reading this at least twice either on this or other low-carb forums. I'll see if I can find the reference and will link it here.

Also, a question...how does a person find out if they are insulin resistant? Lots of people on this forum say that they are IR but I don't recall reading how anybody got diagnosed as such. I would like to find out if I have this condition. Thanks!

To the OP, are you wearing the same size clothes that you did last year? If you gained 10 lbs of fat then you would need to be wearing a larger size than you did last year. But muscle gain can result in smaller clothing sizes in spite of a higher weight number on the scale.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast