Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not ill, Just want to look good in a swimsuit at 50! page

lynda50 is offline Junior Member

Not ill, Just want to look good in a swimsuit at 50!

Primal Fuel
    This is my first ever contribution to an online forum..hope I get it right.!!

I started the Primal eating program after seeing the number on the scale after the Christmas bingefest (85.6kg)
    At 5' 7'' it didn't make for a pleasant viewing. After 2 weeks I had lost the bloating and sugar cravings which everyone has been talking about, and 25 days later currently weigh 82.7kg. I'm really, really pleased with the result, but do understand that I think I need to settle in for the "long haul" and patiently embrace the lifestyle change. (The scales haven't changed for a week). Living in Western Australia I have easy access to plenty of seafood which my family provides, and all the free range meat and eggs I can eat...no complaints about that.
    I have to be honest and say that although I have wanted to lose 7 - 10 kg's for the last decade, my blood pressure, cholestrol, bloodwork etc always came in at a very healthy range. I've never had allergies, digestion problems and so on..really, I just wanted to look better in a swimsuit!! The challenge for me will be to embrace and stay with the program if the scales don't change very much. I keep reading about amazing transformations...People who have become free from symptoms of various illnesses and so on, as well as truly inspiring weightloss success stories. I hope I can post that in a few weeks I'm down another kilo. Got to admit that I'm still sceptical, but prepared to have a go..no dairy, grains, cheats so far.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Good luck!
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

SteveO is offline Member
    It's ok to look at the scales, but keep looking in the mirror. You'll see a difference quickly, and soon your friends will, too!

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Thanks for the encouragement! I need to ask a dumb question..well someone has too, right. What amount of protein is reasonable to consume at each meal..people seem to be suggesting that they sit down to a big old beefsteak each evening..and still lose weight..I don't want to get all Australian on you..but Crikey! Is a 200gram piece of meat too much to consume?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Lynda, welcome and well done on your great primal start.

From my experience, I think that not only will you come to look good in a swimsuit at fifty but you will also look great in clothes and feel better in every way in your general health, even if you don't think you're sick now.

I have been eating primal since June 2012 and exercising (weights) for a few months before that. What I do is try to base most of my meals around protein but it's really not necessary to go overboard. So, two eggs for breakfast with possibly also some cheese or bacon. Dinner maybe a couple of lamb chops, or several slices of beef, or about three chicken drumsticks. I am 49, 5'4" and 58kg.

If I buy 800g of steak, four of us would probably eat it all (and one is only 13yo) so I don't think that a 200g steak is too much to consume if you are working out and building muscle, but you could start with less until you get used to the idea. Or cook the 200g and save what you can't manage at dinner to eat at breakfast or lunch the next day.

There is a formula that says so many grams of protein per day for each pound (yes mixed measurements are very confusing) of lean body weight. And the grams of protein is not the same as the weight of your actual food. But once you get an idea you can learn to approximate.

Good luck

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Also, please take your measurements now, they could change real quick and it is good to have a record of how far you have come since the scale is not the best indicator when your body composition changes.

Thanks for that..I'm definitely going to do the measurements, and relax about the protein amounts. I actually have no problems with consuming 200gram steak etc..I guess it's a process of trusting the program and unlearning all of the "traditional notions" of appropriate amounts. And sometimes trying to be satisfied with the old "piece of meat no bigger than your palm" thing just (usually) left me feeling hungry and annoyed. It's becoming a really interesting experience...no sugar cravings!!!!! Ever!!!!!
    Can it really be this easy......?

G'day Steve I was appreciative of your words of encouragement..here's the update. After my frustrating plateau, feeling hungry, pigging out on an extra 2 fine Australian lamb chops and then figuring I'd really mucked up, I woke up Half a kilo lighter. Apart from the fact it's nice to have a little reward(weightloss), it is possibly the most angst free and effortless way to approach a dietary lifestyle change. ...no sugar cravings!!!...at all!!!

Hey Annie Your advice was really appreciated. I increased my protein, because I felt hungry and needed to feel an improvement in my energy,( and I have to say , my enthusiasm to stay on track with the program had declined a little). Honestly, I figured that the old Conventional Wisdom was going to laugh right back at me and I'd get a nasty shock on the scales...NOT TRUE! I lost a half kilo, and feel great. Not excercising much, but we've been experiencing temps in the 40's. Too hot to walk outdoors, but have cranked up the aircon and hit the rower. Thanks for your interest.

jwm2k3 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In approx 90 days I lost about 24 or 25lbs (not sure what that is in kilos) and this was without much exercise. It did take a few weeks to be noticable...

Stick with it, its worth it so very much!!!
    42 yrs, 5'11", heaviest weight 205, current 165 and feel amazing!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast