Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sauerkraut page 3

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ace Hardware sells a nice size enamel crock for about $25. You might have to order it through a local branch. Or try online!

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!

Classic is offline Senior Member
    You don't want to cook sauerkraut or you will kill the good stuff. I try to leave some out to get to room temperature to eat instead of heating it.

sebzzz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    Where can I get one of those large crocks at a fairly reasonable price. All the fermenting crocks that I've found have been hundreds of dollars! I also want to use it to make kimchee.
    Cultures for Health sells a great glass jar with a system that make your fermentation process 100% air tight.

I bought the bigger version and I'm really happy with it and it's big enough for my needs.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Egoldstein--ttp://www.whats4eats.com/salads/curtido-recipe check the reference to vinagre de pin~a.

Frespryte--I pickle most any vegetable, some fruits, and eggs. I use the glass gallon jars that normally hold bulk quantities of pickles, olives, whatever. For times when weights are required I have some tiles that were cut to fit into the jars and I have some weights that were meant to be fancy kitchen things in Japan for making tofu. Look like lions. You can use a polished stone, a can from the supermarket, a brick, whatever makes your fermenting special for you.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all replies. I shall have great fun trying this. I won't pressure cook it - surely that will kill all of the beneficial bacteria - which I considered to be the point of the exercise?

I have some nice (unused!) heavy glass ashtrays which I think will be perfect for keeping the cabbage submerged. Does anyone use whey, as recommended by Sally Fallon? Or just salt / veg??

Can't wait to get going with this!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123