Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sauerkraut page 2

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Egoldstein View Post
    Bubbie's brand is just cabbage, vinegar and water. They also have pickles that are fermented w/o vinegar. Look for no vinegar, no preservatives, not pasteurized.
    Thank you! I haven't bought Bubbies, but have seen it highly reccomended on other forums as a good way to go... didn't realize that it has vinegar in it... I am toying with making my own with just salt brine and cabbage.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    ignore my previous comment. Bubbie's sauerkraut only has cabbage, salt and water. The sour taste comes from fermentation. They also have some pickles that are naturally fermented, but you have to check the labels.

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    Bubbies is the bomb! The sauerkraut is *delicious#!

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    You can make your own, very easy, cabbage and sea salt and a few wide mouth mason jars. Very delicious.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    after checking mine at home, it is indeed 'bubbies'

mdale2 is offline Member
    Short answer: don't use a French press

Long answer: (see answer below, I posted this on another thread here and copied it to this thread...)

If you want to make true sauerkraut, you need: a big-ass glazed crock (5 gal), about 8-10 heads of cabbage, 4 onions, a big-ass knife, a microplane grater (+1 if you find an oldie in an antique store), pickling salt, mason jars, a heavy object to "stomp" the cabbage, and cheesecloth.

1 - clean the cabbage
    2 - Cut the hearts from the cabbage (save for eating raw if desired), grate the cabbage to desired texture
    3 - Place grated cabbage in a large bowl
    4 - Cut the onion into thin slices
    5 - Place about 1/4 of the total cabbage in the crock, place 1 onion's worth of slices on top and 1 tbsp of pickling salt.
    6 - Take your stomper and mash the mixture down into the crock (you're releasing the juices)
    7 - Once you get a fair amount of juice on the top and it's difficult to stomp anymore, repeat the process.
    8 - Repeat the stomping of the cabbage/onion/salt layers until you're a few inches from the top of your crock (not really an exact science)
    9 - There should be a good amount of liquid completely covering the top layer
    10 - add a plate and a weight on the top of the cabbage. Helps keep the cabbage itself from floating up. The plate should be submerged.
    11 - If there's not enough water at the top, make a brine of 1/2 c salt & qt of water then pour it atop the mix.
    12 - Cover the whole crock with cheesecloth and band it around the sides
    13 - wait 6 weeks or so
    14 - Prepare canning supplies - pint or quart jars, lids, bands, pressure cooker - place hot water in the clean jars to warm them, then drain just before adding sauerkraut
    15 - Remove the cheesecloth from the crock
    16 - You'll see some wanky looking moldy junk on the top (and it will STINK like nothing else), scoop off the mold and the top juice layer, then remove your plate & weight
    17 - Scoop off the first 1-2 inches of fermented cabbage - it's usually the real dark stuff.
    18 - Dump the hot water from your canning jars and put in the kraut. Top off each with a bit of water.
    19 - Add some water into your pressure cooker, place in the jars and pressure cook per recommended cooker time/pressure
    20 - remove, place onto towels / racks and allow cool. Mark them with the date and voila you've got sauerkraut

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Sauerkraut is actually very easy to make, I do it all the time. You do want to use a non-reactive vessel, though. I mash mine in an enamel bowl then pack it in a very large glass mason jar.

Shred the cabbage finely, and place in large bowl. Add kosher or sea salt (1 TB. at a time) and mix well, tasting until it tastes CLEARLY salty but not enough to be unpleasant. Mash the mixture with a pestle or wooden meat mallet (very clean!) until the cabbage releases a fair amount of juice--enough to cover the solid cabbage. If you can't get enough moisture out of it, you can add filtered water with more salt diluted into it (brine---again, salty enough to taste distinctly salty but not enough to make you gag.)

Place the saurkraut/brine mixture into your mason jar, making sure the cabbage is covered by liquid. If it's well-covered, just place the lid on lightly and leave undisturbed at room temp. If you have to weight the cabbage down, place a (nonreactive) weight on it so it is covered).

Check the jar daily for bubbling. Once you see bubbles, taste it! when it's as sour as you like, refrigerate. It will keep for a very long time cold, v-e-r-y slowly getting more sour.

Sooze

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Mainer -

How do you hold down the cabbage in the wide mouth jars? I'm making/made some now and that's the rough part - keeping the cabbage submerged.

For others - just make your own. Cheap and easy. Definitely more 'tangy' then the standard store bought variety.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I want to try this. Does anyone have a good recipe for fermented Curtido? I like the spiciness better than sauerkraut.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Where can I get one of those large crocks at a fairly reasonable price. All the fermenting crocks that I've found have been hundreds of dollars! I also want to use it to make kimchee.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast