Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: odd combo? page

gergirl Guest

odd combo?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After I was inducted to new machines in the gym today, which was fun and I'm looking foward to use them, I had to think of my "old" love: bw exercises, free weights and multi joint exercises. Just doing machines makes me feel bored pretty soon, so I'd like to mix things up. Usually I do not mix within one training session and keep machines and the free stuff apart. But what about doing one or two sets with the machines to " warm up" with lesser weight than in a normal workout and than turn to bw and free weights? Would that make sense?
    What's your combo to keep training interesting? Do you do a combination of hit/strength and hiit? Cardio and strength? In one session?Machines and free weights?
    I'd like to get some input

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You can mix machines and free weights if you like. If you want to do HIIT or Cardio in the same session as heavy work, do the heavy work first.
    The Champagne of Beards

gergirl Guest
    Thanks, wise man
    that is what I've been doing refering to hiit and lifting. I will give the combo of machines and free stuff a go, I think.

Jennifla is online now Senior Member
    I have been doing bodyweight in addition to walking, but last week I was bored and I tried the leg press for the first time. Did several reps of 190 pounds and I LOVED it. Weighted squats will be next. I take new things slowly to make sure I don't hurt myself.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Reventon is online now Senior Member
    Wise words spaketh the Rich.

On machines, I love dem cables. Different force curve, no fixed plane of motion, lets you work a muscle effectively and safely. Cables rock.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I make good use of all three barbell, machines, and bodyweight movements. For barbell the standard you see here all the time apply. Then I sprinkle in some machines I like the lateral delt machine, tricep pushdowns, leg press, and anything if I'm taking it to failure. For bodyweight dips and chins/pullups with varying grips rock. Those would be my staples at different periods of my training cycles. Right now I'm doing almost all barbell, but in a month or so I'll cycle some of the machine stuff back in. I guess you could call it "power bodybuilding" if that works for ya. It's a term I just ran across a little while ago and seemed to fit what I do.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Some modern machines are awesome. If you are mixing free weights and machines for each body part then I'd do the free weight moves first while fresh as they require more balance and skill. As the muscles become fatigued you can move onto machines to blast them into submission without having the difficulty free weights require to maintain good form.

gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Some modern machines are awesome. If you are mixing free weights and machines for each body part then I'd do the free weight moves first while fresh as they require more balance and skill. As the muscles become fatigued you can move onto machines to blast them into submission without having the difficulty free weights require to maintain good form.
    Sounds logic. Should I work it all out and blow me off with the machines at last?

Reventon is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Sounds logic. Should I work it all out and blow me off with the machines at last?
    Basically yup. You'll still have gas in the tank when you hit the machines, but as Oldschhool wisely points out, because the plane of motion is fixed (or at the very least, far more controlled) and machines almost always have safety measures in place, you don't risk hurting yourself as much due to fatiguing your muscles and central nervous system.

Hitting a different rep range on machines is a great way to expend your muscles effectively too as it taps a different energy pathway as you increase reps. Whether or not you desire going down that track will vary according to your goals, but there's a whole bunch of stuff you can play with.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    Basically yup. You'll still have gas in the tank when you hit the machines, but as Oldschhool wisely points out, because the plane of motion is fixed (or at the very least, far more controlled) and machines almost always have safety measures in place, you don't risk hurting yourself as much due to fatiguing your muscles and central nervous system.

Hitting a different rep range on machines is a great way to expend your muscles effectively too as it taps a different energy pathway as you increase reps. Whether or not you desire going down that track will vary according to your goals, but there's a whole bunch of stuff you can play with.
    To add to this, though, be sure you don't fall into the trap of "majoring in the minors." In other words, the important exercises go first and get your full effort, before moving to ancillary stuff. Don't half-ass your squats, for instance, in order to save energy for the leg curl machine, if full body strength is your priority.
    The Champagne of Beards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast