Thread: Subway uses ammonium sulphate in its "wheat bread" to turn it brown! Yummy! page

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member

Post Subway uses ammonium sulphate in its "wheat bread" to turn it brown! Yummy!

Primal Fuel
    OK OK I know us primal/paleo people wouldnt touch this with a ten-foot pole, but still some good information to give to your 'normal' friends!

What's Really In …
    SUBWAY 9-GRAIN WHEAT (6")
    210 calories
    2 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
    410 mg sodium

Okay, so you're probably not in the habit of ordering a la carte bread loaves at Subway, but there’s a good chance you've eaten at least a few sandwiches built on this bread. The good news is that Subway actually delivers on the nine-grain promise. The bad news: Eight of those nine grains appear in miniscule amounts. If you look at a Subway ingredient statement, you'll find every grain except wheat listed at the bottom of the list, just beneath the qualifier "contains 2% or less." In fact, the primary ingredient in this bread is plain old white flour, and high-fructose corn syrup plays a more prominent role than any single whole grain. Essentially this is a white-wheat hybrid with trace amounts of other whole grains like oats, barley, and rye.

So outside of the nine grains, how many ingredients does Subway use to keep this bread together? Sixteen, including such far-from-simple ingredients as DATEM, sodium steroyl lactylate, calcium sulfate, and azodiacarbonamide. But here's one that's a little unnerving: ammonium sulfate. This compound is loaded with nitrogen, which is why it's most common use is as fertilizer. You might have used it to nourish your plants at home. And Subway does the same thing; the ammonium sulfate nourishes the yeast and helps the bread turn brown. What, did you think that dark hue was the result of whole grains? Hardly. It's a combination of the ammonium sulfate and the caramel coloring. Seems like Jarod might frown on that sort of subterfuge.

Of course, in terms of calories, Subway's still one of your best allies in the sandwich game. But here's an even better idea: Whip up one of these 25 best sandwiches in America at home in minutes. You'll save calories, money, and precious time
    The article also includes other equally disturbing facts about modern 'foods'

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatt...bout-your-food

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, ammonium sulfate might indeed be a very bad thing. But, our bodies are "loaded" with nitrogen too. Key nutrient just like calcium and magnesium. So that kind of argument in itself doesn't mean anything.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    what do you mean it doesnt mean anything? just nitrogen obviously doesnt mean much but we're talking about a plant fertilizer in your food.

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    If jared lost some weight eating only subway, then you should not question the food they sell.

/sarcasm.

Nice find.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat that shit.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    I actually work at Subway right now, and our "food" is pretty horrendous. I'm constantly getting crap for refusing to take my free employee meals, since the only safe thing to eat is a bare veggie salad. I thought I would be safe adding chicken, but come to find, they're loaded with soy protein, soybean oil, and who knows what else. Basically, a bunch of junk compressed and shaped like a chicken breast.

The roast beef has pretty minimal ingredients, though, if you ever have to eat there.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG View Post
    what do you mean it doesnt mean anything? just nitrogen obviously doesnt mean much but we're talking about a plant fertilizer in your food.
    Yeah, what I said is it's not convincing to say the reason it's bad is because "it's loaded with nitrogen." Saying it's bad because "it's plant fertilizer" also doesn't mean anything. It may be bad, I don't know, but those aren't the reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    I actually work at Subway right now, and our "food" is pretty horrendous. I'm constantly getting crap for refusing to take my free employee meals, since the only safe thing to eat is a bare veggie salad. I thought I would be safe adding chicken, but come to find, they're loaded with soy protein, soybean oil, and who knows what else. Basically, a bunch of junk compressed and shaped like a chicken breast
    That's sad. I'm sure a lot of people think they're just getting chicken.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    The roast beef has pretty minimal ingredients, though, if you ever have to eat there.
    The roast beef is my go to meat.....if I am ever forced (by gunpoint or by desperation) to eat there.