Thread: Light Coconut Milk + coconut oil page

Primal Zen is offline Junior Member

Light Coconut Milk + coconut oil

Primal Fuel
    O.K. so I know just the mention of "light" coconut milk probably got some people already upset (can't say I blame you), but hear me out.

All the coconut milk I have seen have guar gum, or some other thickener in them. I am not sure if it is bad for you, or not, but I do know I do not have guar gum in my food pantry at home.

For the few things I eat that actually have an ingredient list, I like the ingredients to be things I would have in my pantry at home.

Trader Joe's sells a light coconut milk that only lists coconut, and water as the ingredients. When I use it for smoothies, cooking, etc.. I add coconut oil to the smoothie, curry sauce, etc.. to add back in the fat.

To me light coconut milk + coconut oil seems more natural than full fat coconut milk + guar gum.

Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone else interested in this option.

Happy coconut eating all!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I would love to find coconut milk that doesn't have guar gum in it.

Out of curiosity I did some looking. This is what I found on guar gum...

Guar gum is a fiber from the seed of the guar plant.

Guar gum is used as a laxative. It is also used for treating diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), obesity, and diabetes; for reducing cholesterol; and for preventing “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis).

In foods and beverages, guar gum is used as a thickening, stabilizing, suspending, and binding agent.

In manufacturing, guar gum is used as a binding agent in tablets, and as a thickening agent in lotions and creams.

How does it work?

Guar gum is a fiber that normalizes the moisture content of the stool, absorbing excess liquid in diarrhea, and softening the stool in constipation. It also might help decrease the amount of cholesterol and glucose that is absorbed in the stomach and intestines.

There is some interest in using guar gum for weight loss because it expands in the intestine, causing a sense of fullness. This may decrease appetite.

There's more here:
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...R+GUM&source=2
    Last edited by Diana Renata; 06-16-2010 at 02:45 AM.

Primal Zen is offline Junior Member
    Interesting finds. Thanks for posting that, and the link.

I wonder how the amount of guar gum in coconut milk affects those of us that drink it a lot. Hmm... might be spending some time on Google.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Let me know what you find. I'd be interested to know but don't have much time for google the next few days.