Thread: Bacon Grease? page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Bacon Grease?

Primal Fuel
    What status should one give to Bacon Grease? Harmless saturated fat? Health Drink? Good in the context of a low carb diet? Unhealthy? Too high in Omega 6?

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    I eat bacon every day and have a glass dish of grease that I use to cook with. Makes things taste fantastic.

BACON!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Fine in moderation, especially if the bacon you rendered it from came from pastured pork. Much better than seed oils. A bit worse than coconut oil/tallow due to PUFA's.
    The Champagne of Beards

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Fine in moderation, especially if the bacon you rendered it from came from pastured pork. Much better than seed oils. A bit worse than coconut oil/tallow due to PUFA's.
    We raise our own pigs, so bacon is a precious treat (since pigs only come with 2 belly sides). We save all the grease to use when the bacon is all eaten for the year. I love looking in the fridge and seeing those jars of goodness.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    We raise our own pigs, so bacon is a precious treat (since pigs only come with 2 belly sides). We save all the grease to use when the bacon is all eaten for the year. I love looking in the fridge and seeing those jars of goodness.
    I'm jealous. I do the same thing whenever I get my hands on some good pasture-raised bacon.
    The Champagne of Beards

zebonaut is offline Senior Member
    Im buying nitrate free bacon; but have yet to find pastured bacon. I just worry my bacon is corn fed. Still waiting for a health store to sell a glass of bacon grease though... lol

~IanB is offline Member
    I used to keep, and eat, my own pigs. The fat of a truly organic and free ranging porker is a far different thing to that which comes from a factory farmed creature, or even a supermarket 'pastured' pig. Properly pastured pig grease is, I'd suggest, a delicious and nutritious treat. The other stuff is okay, but in moderation - taste will probably tell you, if it's really good you'll want to just eat it on its own, and you probably wouldn't do that with the commercial, factory stuff!