Thread: Skinny fat. Where do I begin? page

Katharina is offline Member

Skinny fat. Where do I begin?

Hi guys. Let me try to explain this as well as I can.

I am super skinnyfat. I have very little muscle and way too much fat. I have been sitting still on my butt for many years because I have a mental illness, so I havn't been able to go to school or work or do alot of stuff that normal people do.
    I am now at a point where I enjoy a weekly session of yoga, 2 times aquafitness and I'm just discovering the kettlebell and how fun it is. I am very weak, though. Other than that I don't move around much at all.

I have to say, I am currently not eating paleo. I was eating paleo for a short time a while back, but I had to stop because my IBS is crazy. The only thing that has been working to keep it under control, are very small meals through out the day, and alot of veggies and fat did just not seem to make it any better, even though I started paleo, in the hopes of bettering my IBS.
    Also paleo got too restricted for me, I started stressing - is this farmed salmon ok to eat? I can't eat caged eggs because everyone says I'll die from it? I can never ever look at gluten cause everything I've done so far will reverse itself? This forum got super confusing, to be honest. In the end I just had to stop.

So why am I even asking on this forum? Well you guys are awesome at this stuff, and I do truly still believe that paleo is the best way to go, and I would like to transit to paleo again at some point.

So to the real deal. I know I have to lift heavy and eat protein and keep up the exersise that I am currently doing. But... I am so confused. How many calories should I be eating? Should I focus on losing fat or gaining muscle? For the past 3 weeks I've been eating around 1200 calories per day and I have lost a little weight but not much. I'm guessing it's really difficult to lose weight when I have little muscle.

I know I didn't really ask much.. But I need a guide, some tips, maybe some links and recommendations for books or DVDs.

Also, there is a crossfit center nearby where I live, and I've been thinking about going there. But I had a really bad experience about a year ago when I tried a crossfit introhour at a fitnesscenter. There were so many pros there, and it was following their tempo alot more than my little pathetic stature could keep up with. Also during the warmup, other people were dependent on how fast I was, and it was super scary and VERY uncomfortable!
    Is it always like that or did I just land a bad class? It's really been keeping me from going again

Thanks!
    - Katharina

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Lift weights, eat food. Repeat. Be patient. You need to gain weight, add muscle, then lose fat.

CrossFit is great to burn fat. I'd go and talk to the coach that you want to add muscle and weight. You will add weight.
    CrossFit should be able to scale to you and your ability; if not, go elsewhere. It should be hard, not overwhelming.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Get one of these: http://www.qcdance.com/_mod_files/ce...ettlebells.jpg

A number of good workouts can be done with them.

M.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katharina View Post
    I need a guide, some tips, maybe some links and recommendations for books or DVDs.
    Have you read The Primal Blueprint? That, along with getting a copy of the primal fitness book, available on the MDA website, are where you need to start.

The Maker Diet by Jordan Rubin (Rubin Jordan? I forget) might be of interest to you. He had IBS, Crohns, you name it and turned it around for himself. It is like Paleo, but you can have some tubers.

You might also like to eat a Raw Diet (no grains, no meat) occasionally. I would stick with green drinks though (mostly veggie, easy on fruit).

Experiment, and good luck with whatever you do!!

Thank you guys. I will check out the Maker Diet. Its such a struggle to deal with my IBS, eating well and staying healthy with my illness. I'll keep experiementing. I defiently feel that I can't keep eating 1200 calories a day, I've been tired as hell the past 2 weeks, so I'm gonna start by upping those, waking up earlier, and taking a walk in the scarce northern wintersunligt everyday.
    And then find some good kettlebell workouts :-)

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    1200 calories a day isn't wise, in my opinion, if you're trying to be more active. Eat until you're full, eat when you're hungry. When starting out, I would suggest you eat intuitively. Want meat? Eat it. Want some carbs? Eat some starchy tubers. Or fruit. Since you are already "skinny", working out is mostly all you need. Focusing on building muscle is probably going to yield better results than trying to lose fat on a weak frame to begin with. I doubt you have much fat to lose and some of it may be inflammation/bloat which will sort itself out over time.

Are you dealing with IBS-C or D or M (constipation, diarrhea or, mix (both))?

Honestly, the best thing you can do is pick a protocol or way of eating and stick to it for a while. Pay attention to what works/doesn't work for your body (and gut). You will get a ton of different suggestions here and some may work for you and some may not. I would say try the Primal Blueprint "by the book" but eat till full and don't worry about calories.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    I would think walking would be good for you as well.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    1200 calories a day isn't wise, in my opinion, if you're trying to be more active. Eat until you're full, eat when you're hungry. When starting out, I would suggest you eat intuitively. Want meat? Eat it. Want some carbs? Eat some starchy tubers. Or fruit. Since you are already "skinny", working out is mostly all you need. Focusing on building muscle is probably going to yield better results than trying to lose fat on a weak frame to begin with. I doubt you have much fat to lose and some of it may be inflammation/bloat which will sort itself out over time.

Are you dealing with IBS-C or D or M (constipation, diarrhea or, mix (both))?

Honestly, the best thing you can do is pick a protocol or way of eating and stick to it for a while. Pay attention to what works/doesn't work for your body (and gut). You will get a ton of different suggestions here and some may work for you and some may not. I would say try the Primal Blueprint "by the book" but eat till full and don't worry about calories.
    Hi, thank you for your answer. I suffer from IBS-D accompanied by pains, rumbleing, not being able to leave my house after eating etc. Although I'm afraid to leave the house after eating a semi-big meal, I've decided to try paleo again for the next week and see how I feel. I'm not gonna go super crazy this time though, I wanna be able to enjoy a banana without feeling weirded out and guilty.

I currently do 2 hours of water aerobics a week, 1-2 times kettlebell workout and one session of yoga. I can't really do more atm cause I am in a bad shape but tbh it's hell of a lot more than I was doing 3-4 months ago

Will also start walking more when it gets warmer, it's damn cold and windy in Denmark atm, and I have no motivation to go outside more than needed