Thread: Bone broth page

sarahwinona is offline Member

Bone broth

Primal Fuel
    Is bone broth a good way to get quick protein after a workout? What all exactly- proteins, fats, etc., are in bone broth?

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Good question. This is the best answer I could find: What is the nutrient analysis of bone broth? - Paleohacks

--Me

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there's a consistent output in homemade bone broth. Each sessions going to have variables that aren't tightly controlled, and probably a few that can't be.

M.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    different animals, cook time and method, other ingredients all will cause varying results. i use broth as a source for trace minerals and gelatin and do not think of it as a protein source. quick protein after a work-out can be some hard-cooked eggs.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, in particular, this study on lead in home made broth freaked me out: The risk of lead contamination in bone broth ... [Med Hypotheses. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

--Me

biko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Yeah, in particular, this study on lead in home made broth freaked me out: The risk of lead contamination in bone broth ... [Med Hypotheses. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

--Me
    This is what messes me up ALL the time.
    For every study that says DO there's one that says DON'T.

Heyo Jay is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth will have fat... which will slow down digestion after workouts.... but I mean, not everybody take post workout nutrition that seriously. For me, just getting protein in after workouts is good enough.
    My interesting paleo weight loss blog

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post

--Me
    Regular chicken bones vs grassfed beef bones aren't the same.

I always avoided chicken bones for bone broth anyway due to the potential arsenic.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Bones from grocery store meats that aren't USDA grass fed - I don't use them. I don't trust them.

Bones from chickens that are primarily fed grass and bugs with a supplement of grain/feed - I use them occasionally.

Wild pig bones, grass fed bison bones, grass fed beef bones, pasture based lamb or goat bones from farmers I trust, - I use them and pressure cook the snot out of them.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite