Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal eating post gallbladder removal? page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal eating post gallbladder removal?

Primal Fuel
    A friend of mine recently had her gallbladder removed. She was just getting interested in the primal blueprint...but now her doctors tell her that, without a gallbladder, digesting dietary fat will be difficult.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Advice?

(I'm speculating that she might be able to get adequate fat by eating it in small quantities throughout the day. She could also be low-carb, but a bit higher-protein than most primals, and still get good results... Maybe? She doesn't have a lot of fat to lose, but would be more motivated by the long-term health benefits of the PB.)
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Grol is offline Senior Member
    This made me think of the Steve Nash post. He eats very primal but lean meats. It may not pass the sniff test around here, but he seems to be in incredible shape.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've wondered about this too since I know someone with gallbladder issues. I think that medium chain triglycerides (which compose a lot of the fat found in coconut) do not require bile to be digested, or maybe they just require less, so supplementing lean meat with coconut oil might be helpful.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    I had my gallbladder out in '97 and I have no trouble with all the fats.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    my co-worker, who has had his gallbladder removed a while ago, does quite well livin' la vida primal.
    I grok, therefore I am.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Had my gallbladder removed in the early1990's. I have no problems with fats. In fact, my digestion has improved since lowering my carb intake. The frequent bouts of diarrhea are gone.

MamaB is offline Junior Member
    I had my gallbladder out a year ago this month. The first couple of months fat would run right through me. After the second month that problem resolved itself. My doctor was very informative up front that it's not very common for people to have long term problems with fat content. Anyway, I ate small meals throughout the day that included lean meat, fruit and some veggies (salads were rough too at first). I did eat potatoes (white and sweet). Hopefully she doesn't mind some trial and error as this is what it will take to find out what sits well with her. As each week passes, she can try to add a little more fat to her diet when she's going to be home to guage her response in a "safe" zone. Would not suggest trying a yummy creamy cheesy sauce at the restaurant till she knows she can handle it.

Hope your friend is feeling much better.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, guys! This is very helpful -- I'll pass it along.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

waxleaves is offline Member
    I had my gallbladder out at age 21, four years ago. I was diagnosed with post-cholesystectomy syndrome shortly after. For a while, I've had trouble eating anything, especially animal fats. Eggs were the worst. I was sick all the time. I went paleo in March, though, and as long as I don't slip up much, I am not sick at all and have no problem with the fat. And I eat eggs every morning! Now, I only get sick if I drink alcohol or coffee (haven't been able to eliminate coffee yet) or if I eat wheat.

Domas is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Foods to Eat and Foods to Avoid after Gallbladder surgery Removal

AVOID THESE: Red meat, margarine, fried food, spicy food and soft drinks should be eliminated completely.
    Eat as little as possible pork, poultry, dairy, chocolate, and refined carbohydrates (no pastas, noodles, breads). Do not eat a lot of ice cream-this is high fat.
    EAT THESE: Fruits, vegetables, best if they are raw for fiber to help.
    Avocados, beets, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, grapes, apples, berries, artichokes if possible. These are best.
    Eat flax seed oil, hemp seed oils as supplements or for salad dressings (not to cook with). Use olive oil.
    Yogurt, fish, cottage cheese.
    MORNING AND EVENING: Mix lemon juice with two tablespoons of olive oil in a glass of water and drink this in the morning and evening.
    AFTER A FEW WEEKS EAT: whole grains, eggs and poultry and low fat milk.

If you eat high fat foods you will be running to the bathroom most likely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast