Thread: Balancing Omega 3, 6 without supplements page

andalus is offline Junior Member

Balancing Omega 3, 6 without supplements

Primal Fuel
    I've been trying to eliminate as many unnecessary supplements as possible and instead depending on eating a proper diet for the majority of vitamins and minerals. So far everything looks great and eating a PB style diet seems to exceed a lot of the RDI's without much effort.

The only thing I haven't been able to get right just by adjusting my diet is the Omega 3 to 6 ratio. The ideal ratio is supposed to be 1:1. Even if I eat a portion of oily fish everyday e.g mackerel (3 grams of EPA/DHA), my ratio is closer to 4:1. The only sources of omega 6 in my diet are chicken, avocado and nuts.

How did Paleolithic man manage a ratio of 1:1 without supplements or eating a very boring diet?
    Last edited by andalus; 06-15-2010 at 03:16 PM.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    You should eliminate the nuts as they contain a LOT of omega 6. Maybe buy some liquid fish oil with no additives. It's basically food.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Who says the paleolithic man didn't have a boring diet? I think that's the crux here. I eat fish, grassfed beef/tallow, vegetables, a little fruit, coconut, a bit of olive oil, some tubers, and maybe once a week I'll have some bacon or pork chops, or not.

You could always go really primal and eat brains. You could be a zombie . A hunter-gatherer will eat lots of different kinds of game meat, that could be interpreted as less boring. It's little difficult to do now though.

I agree that I would like to eliminate as many supplements as possible, but if the consequence is going to be poorer health, the supplements are the good guys. Liquid fish oil is awesome, by the way. I do not miss the days of eating 14 fish oils caps one bit.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I replaced chicken with seafood. Even if it isn't high omega 3 fish the ratios are better and nixing chicken just made sense to me. I am eating fish/seafood for half my meals and enjoying it. Beef is is 2/3rds or more of the other half. I cannot find grassfed beef where I am. The cleanest flesh I can find is fish, so I just decided to enjoy it with lots of lemon, garlic and Kerrygold, bacon fat, coconut oil; it's pretty lean. Also, cutting out chicken is way easier than cutting out nuts for me. hah.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andalus View Post
    How did Paleolithic man manage a ratio of 1:1 without supplements or eating a very boring diet?
    I'm one of those who think we ate a high amount of shellfish, either coastal or freshwater varieties.
    When I go to NutritionalData and search 'oyster' I get this type of O6/3 ratio:
    Total Omega-3 fatty acids 370 mg
    Total Omega-6 fatty acids 16.0 mg
    Oh, and I eat a very boring, very low carb diet and love it that way.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I don't think paleo man had a ratio of 1:1. It was probably more like 3:1. Grass fed beef has 3:1 and I think of lot of other grass fed red meats are similar. I think chicken has high Omega 6 and very little Omega 3, especially with all the shitty diets they are fed. Maybe you'd be better off eating red meats.

Also, I suspect that paleo man did not need a ratio of 1:1 because his trigs were low and his LDL was big and fluffy, i.e the good LDL.

EDIT: Is your LDL small and dense or big and fluffy?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what you mean by paleo man. Brains were eaten and brains have tons of omega 3, and if there was fish involved there was easily 1:1. There is no one paleo diet after all. And heart disease isn't the only issue, a worse ratio exacerbates nearly every problem and decreases health and vitality on a sliding scale. Look at the Kitavans, awesome ratio, terrible cholesterol, no heart disease. Inflammation is way more important than blood lipids in my opinion.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    He would probably have eaten slugs, worms, insects of all kinds - locusts for example were known to be eaten. I don't know what the omega 3 ratios are in those, but I bet massive. Which again would tilt towards 1 : 1.