Thread: Primal Challenge Journal ~ SwitzBride page

SwitzBride Guest

Primal Fuel

I've been following an Atkins/Low Carb lifestyle on and off for a number of years, and have had some great success and improved health - albeit also some time periods of being severly OFF that wagon and going right back to the way I used to be.

I've been reading more and more about nutrition and health and really feel that Primal gives a little more healthy focus to a low carb lifestyle. At this point in time, I've dropped a little over 20 pounds since Memorial Day weekend 2009, and have been holding steady at 5'6" and 180 pounds for a month now.

But it's time to take it up a notch and get FOCUSED.

I have SO been WAITING for this challenge to start!!

On a personal note, I sadly also began a six-month separation from my spouse and just moved in to a new apartment. This challenge comes at a great time for me to focus on my personal well-being -- in EVERY aspect and work towards improving the person I am. Physically, mentally, emotionally.

For me, every rule of the primal lifestyle should help to achieve that. And at this stressful time in my life, I am ESPECIALLY going to make sure I get that "play" in!

So, my goals for the next 30 days for the challenge:

1. Follow the rules to the best I can! (Though 80/20 moments can occurr without me beating myself up. I need to get the book too and get that read asap, rather than just following this site. It's day one and I'm already going - can I use Splenda? Heavy cream?? so educate on the rules!)

2. Drop 10 pounds of fat while building my lean muscle. (Exercise was going well and then dropped to almost zero in July. Probably why I've stagnated my weightloss. Plus, god knows I need the stress reduction of fitness and the health and personal pride of successfully taking some more fat off!)

3. Play and Relax (take long walks and hikes. Try to do something FUN every day! Play with my dogs, my cat, my friends, myself... um... that didn't come out right... But also start trying some meditation or something too.)

4. FOLLOW THROUGH! (I am GREAT at starting with lots of motivation for a while, and then just drifting off.. so. Follow Through all 30 days! I got nothing else to do, a new living situation with just myself and no bad food in the house, and this challenge and journal will keep me focused.)

SwitzBride Guest

It's only lunch and I'm pretty sure I've already skewed the plan. Hmm... Better do some reading about this stuff.

A) Had a diet coke post lunch. Pretty sure the chemicals in that and all are not gonna fly. Too bad, I love my diet soda (and get it FREE from a cousin so extra hard to let go -- or just cut back a lot???) I usually have, like, one a day, more or less.

I did recently try Kombucha for the first time and liked that. I'm guessing that would fit into the primal life?? I'd love to try my hand at making some. Wonder how hard it would be to get my hands on some scoby??

B) How about sauces? Had some hot wings at lunch with hot sauce. I'm guessing that's okay? No sugar.. but maybe preservatives. And the point is to get AWAY from processed foods, so I'm pretty sure that bottled sauces are also out. ...guess I better get creative with the spices!

C) ..shoot. also had some sugar free jam. hmm.. That was a-typical.

I'm guessing that I'll get a lot better at this soon. :P

SwitzBride Guest

Also, how the heck do I change my profile pick?

ah...so much to learn...

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

About the diet coke... I was a diet-coke-as-a-treat-now-and-then girl my whole life. Really, I'd have it very infrequently but enjoyed it when I did. Now? After not having one for a while if I take a sip of one (like if my husband is having one) it tastes ridiculously sweet and grossly chemical.

You'll get over it if you just go cold turkey and cut it out for a while.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

And for the profile pic gravatar.com will help you out.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.