Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Boobs and Belly page

ChoobDriver is offline Member

Man Boobs and Belly

Hi all,
    I have never kept a journal before of any kind ever but I have started one here because I need the input of the knowledgable people here at MDA to advise me when and where I may and probably will go wrong.

About me. I am male, 43, 198lbs, my body consists of skinny arms and legs with man boobs and a big old belly, the later is what i'm desperate to lose, had them for ever and want them gone, if they are gone by summer then great.

I have a very sedentary job, i'm a train driver which is taxing on the mind, never on the body, it is also a job I am very good at and am fortunate to love what I do for a living.

I have been overweight since I was about 18, before then I was a very skinny kid. Looking back my weight seemed to creep up at about the same time supermarkets started appearing here in the UK. Before supermarkets our family shopped for meat at butchers shops, fruit and vegetables at the greengrocers, bread from bakers etc. The supermarkets arrived and saved people money, that's all anyone saw back then.

I was an active kid but once I hit 18 I discovered beer and ladies and as ashamed as I am I haven't exercised since. Seriously 25 years without so much as a gentle jog.

Exercise is a big problem for me, I think it's a combination of can't be bothered, can't do it, don't want to, what's the point and down right embarrassment etc but deep down I know I gotta start somewhere sometime and soon.

I have Sarcoidosis quite bad which has caused considerable scarring on my lungs over the years not helped by smoking 40 cigarettes a day since 18. Thankfully I found the good sense and strong will enough to quit that filthy habit 8 months ago. I also suffer terribly from Gout so I eat cherries often as they help but I have had none since going Primal, because of the gout I do not eat organ meat of any kind, something to do purines or such like.

I stopped drinking beer about 6 months ago, my favourite tipple was then vodka and coke. I haven't had any alcohol since going primal but when I do it will be vodka, soda water and lime juice.

So where am I now?
    I started Primal eating about 10 days ago, I weighed in today for the 1st time hoping to see some initial weight loss no matter how little but alas no, a little gain instead but I believe my diet is off (one of the reasons for this journal). Over the last 10 days I have eaten no dairy except a very little sheeps cheese, no grains of any kind, no sugar at all except for 2 apples and 2 red grapefruits, no seed oils or margarines. I have eaten red meat on about 5 of the 10 days, pork on 2, lamb on 1 and chicken breast on 2 with a combination of either salad (lettuce, onion, tomato) or veggies (broccoli and cabbage), I have eaten some whole almonds, I do eat a LOT of eggs and that's about all. I cook everything using only coconut oil and/or butter, I drink 2-4 litres of water every day and I drink green tea without sugar or milk, about 4 cups a day.

No exercise yet except for a few lame and laughable attempts at push and pull ups.

So that is a little about me, my first days food log will follow in the next post.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you think you can offer some advice that may help me please do so, it will be very appreciated.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the mda zoo!

I am subscribing. I would write more but I have a deadline at 5pm today.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Today I ate:

Breakfast at 6am: 1oz whole almonds and a Granny Smith Apple

Brunch at 09:30: Chicken Breast cooked with a homemade dry rub, Broccoli, Cabbage, Onions

Dinner at 6pm: 4 egg omelet cooked with coconut oil, 3 homemade sausage patties (80 grammes each pre cooked weight)

and that is it, I didn't realise how little I have eaten today but not been hungry.

Lots of water and only one cup of green tea today

Without trying to lower the tone I have noticed I haven't been to the toilet much (#2s), after a stomach ache I took a very large dose of liver salts but still nothing yet.

Time for bed due to a 04:30 alarm call.

Up at 04:30 am today (Monday)

06:00am: One whole Red Grapefruit

09:30: 4 homemade pork sausage patties cooked in coconut oil with 4 whole eggs and 2 yolks scrambled plain

19:00: i cooked 1 pound of ground beef with tomatoes, onions, broccoli, cabbage, tomato paste and indian spices and maybe ate 1/2 of it.

Only one cup of green tea this morning.

Drank a few vodkas with home juiced lime n grapefruit with soda water before dinner.

Real busy day today, up at 04:30 and did not get to sit down and relax until 19:30, phew.

I have ordered from Amazon some Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch unmodified, would really appreciate ideas on how best to use it.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Hello! Potato starch is a prebiotic so I know people pair it with probiotics (fermented stuff... For example adding 1-2T to yogurt).

Otherwise check out the resistant starch thread for recipes. Some recommend RS cookie dough.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Hello! Potato starch is a prebiotic so I know people pair it with probiotics (fermented stuff... For example adding 1-2T to yogurt).

Otherwise check out the resistant starch thread for recipes. Some recommend RS cookie dough.
    I have ordered Bob's Red Mill, Potato Starch Unmodified, Gluten Free from Amazon, awaiting delivery.

I like the idea of adding to yogurt, love Total Full Fat Greek.
    Last edited by ChoobDriver; 01-21-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Tuesday 21st Jan

Weighed in today and screw it all, a consistent upward trend in weight. I want to start losing weight damn it and I have done none of this 80/20 bullcrap, no cheats whatsoever.

Have tried to throw together Bulletproof Coffee with a lack of ingredients. Used Wholebean Instant with KTC Coconut Oil which is deodorised and flavourless but NOT hydrogenated=cheap, no butter until I get shopping. Will buy better coconut oil on payday.

Mood this morning = deflated, unlike my body.
    Last edited by ChoobDriver; 01-21-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoobDriver View Post
    Tuesday 21st Jan

Weighed in today and screw it all, a consistent upward trend in weight. I want to start losing weight damn it and I have done none of this 80/20 bullcrap, no cheats whatsoever.
    You mean apart from those "few vodkas"?

Also, do you know there are more than five veges? I mean, well done on getting rid of the sugar, grains, seed oils and margarines. Now it seems like time to actively increase positive nutrition. Eat more real food. Don't just fill the void with coffee and coconut oil. This is not only about what you don't eat but what you do eat. As well as other aspects like movement and recreation. Good luck.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Push ups and pull ups may be a tough place to start. Try walking more each day, marching in place in front of TV on commercials and pumping your arms with light or no weights. Get your body moving and add from there. If you injure yourself or quit because it is "too hard" you gain nothing but another failure. Keep eating well and see how you feel. Are any clothes getting looser? You may be changing body comp and not see it on the scale just yet. I would also read the primal blueprint and follow it before trying the newest potato hack. You may also find that potatoes are a problem for you as they are a nightshade (do some research, many of us have found this to be a major sources of body pain).

Just some ideas to consider. Best of luck to you! You have already made major improvements and I am sure you will find more success soon!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tuesday 21st Jan

Today I ate sporadically due to being busy with so many things even though it was a day off of work for me.

Got up at 6am and caught up on emails etc. I woke my kids for school at 7am, made them breakfast and saw the older ones off, I took the younger one to school. Went shopping for the kids dinner, was hungry whilst out so ate a packet of cheap, crappy ham but at least it wasn't slapped between to slices of white bread.

At home I made the simplest but yummiest thing ever, Almond Butter. Why have I not made this before, toasted whole almonds and dumped them into the food processor skins and some salt. 10 mins later, heaven.

Went to visit a lady that has been like a mother to me in hospital. 70 years old, I.V Antibiotics for fluid on lungs, has to have a pacemaker fitted while there and she still terrifies me in a good way, she is a feisty old bird, bless.

Home again after picking younger one up from school, helped with homework and chatted/played with kids before cooking dinner. Cooked my dinner also.

So today I ate:

07:00 Coffee with coconut oil in it.

10:00 A horrible packet of highly processed, salt/sugar laden ham which oddly was square shaped.

12:00 a large spoon of homemade almond butter with a red grapefruit.

18:30 A delicious rib eye steak with 2 fried eggs soft yolks, 3 tomatoes halved and fried in coconut oil and an onion sliced and fried.

It was a busy day but I still avoided the simplicity that would be grabbing a pre-made sandwich, burger etc still no doubt I gained another 1/2lb of fat.

I'm happy for the positive benefits thus far but am perplexed and frustrated seeing the scales going consistently upwards. After starting Primal at the start of October and losing around 16lbs in 8 weeks before going back to bad habits in December it's of concern to be gaining weight, I mean even staying static would be preferable. I appreciate it's early days but this did not occur last time around. Whilst the other benefits are great fat loss is important to me and I am currently no more or less active than I was last time around.

Looking at what i've been eating I wonder if I need more fat. I've eaten eggs, very few almonds, cooked with coconut oil and had red meat as often as I can afford (about 50% of the meals), might make some fat bombs as standby. Finding life so hectic at the moment that whilst I do not intend to rely on non whole, real food a little help somewhere may not go a miss.

Thinking of a big old burger and fries (but I won't).

Mood: Puzzled

Would really appreciate thoughts as to why the fat is increasing. Not body composition due to the lack of or for a better phrase non existent real exercise. My activeness has not altered yet gained no weight through December not being primal.
    Last edited by ChoobDriver; 01-21-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast