Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying healthy while travelling page

Canuck_Cam is offline Member

Staying healthy while travelling

So I am going to the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. I live in Ottawa, so in total it will be 2 days of travel each way (16 hours of just flight time, 4 different terminals each way).

Does anyone have any tips to help with jet leg and to hit the ground running/avoiding catching some sort of sickness?

Thanks!

Bear is offline Senior Member
    I've read taking a good probiotic is a good idea...starting some days before you travel, because 70% of the immune system is in the gut.

But you can stay home and get something, too. I have a globe-travelling neighbor who often brings some nasty crap back from the Far East. Wish I'd taken my probiotics 3 weeks ago...I'm still recovering from my encounter with this guy.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Drink lots of water to stay hydrated on the plane, wash hands, don't touch your nose or eyes with your hands.
    Make sure you are in top health before you leave by practicing good exercise, eating, supplementation and sleeping habits.
    Exercise when you get to Sochi and take a melatonin 2 hours before your desired bedtime to re-set your internal clock.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Drink lots of water to stay hydrated on the plane, wash hands, don't touch your nose or eyes with your hands.
    Make sure you are in top health before you leave by practicing good exercise, eating, supplementation and sleeping habits.
    Exercise when you get to Sochi and take a melatonin 2 hours before your desired bedtime to re-set your internal clock.
    Thank you. Anyone have an opinion on getting a flu shot?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck_Cam View Post
    Thank you. Anyone have an opinion on getting a flu shot?

yeah. don't do it.

get yourself as healthy as possible before you go. take magnesium and d3. drink lots of bone broth and eat good yogurt. get plenty of sleep.

the arm rests, tray tables and those seat pocket on planes are FILTHY. the blankets and pillows too. do NOT touch them and then touch your face. i am no germ-o-phobe, but planes are very unclean and that's why so many people get sick when traveling. put some wipes in your carry-on and use them frequently if you touch stuff.

stay as hydrated as possible.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    yeah. don't do it.

get yourself as healthy as possible before you go. take magnesium and d3. drink lots of bone broth and eat good yogurt. get plenty of sleep.

the arm rests, tray tables and those seat pocket on planes are FILTHY. the blankets and pillows too. do NOT touch them and then touch your face. i am no germ-o-phobe, but planes are very unclean and that's why so many people get sick when traveling. put some wipes in your carry-on and use them frequently if you touch stuff.

stay as hydrated as possible.
    ++1
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Bear is offline Senior Member
    And...don't stress over the possibility of getting sick. Even with the most encompassing precautions, it only takes one microbe...

Relax and have fun.

kotlarbia is offline Junior Member
    I have a globe-travelling neighbor who often brings some nasty crap back from the Far East.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone! I'm going for work, and can't afford to be laid up so that's why I'm trying to be extra cautious. Glad y'all share my thoughts on the flu vaccine!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast