Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain finished beef page

Grain finished beef

Primal Fuel
    At whole foods their meat has an 80 percent grass fed diet. They finish their beef on grain. How much of an effect does this have on the omega content?

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, a lot/most? cattle eat grass until they go to the feed lot for the last part of their life. I don't think it takes very long on a grain fed diet for their omega ratios to complete flip flop.

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm this explains a lot of it and there's a graph a few paragraphs down documenting the decline in Omega 3s.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Almost all the farmers here "finish" them on grain. Even the ones that promote "grass fed, antibiotic and steroid free". Sucks if this doesn't have a lasting benefit.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Either way beef fat is SO low on PUFA's that it doesn't make much of a difference if you are taking fish oil.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I haven't looked at the study in detail, but the conclusions are shocking: http://blog.zeroinginonhealth.com/20...han-grass-fed/

I still find it hard to believe that eating an animal that ate a diet that is unhealthy for it could be healthier for me than an animal that ate an optimal diet, but crazier things are true.

It was funded by The National Cattleman's Beef Association, so it's questionable, but if what they found is actually true then it seems that grain-fed would have beneficial effects over grassfed. I'll have to dig deeper.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 06-15-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Looking closer...

peril is offline Senior Member
    The study involved 27 men eating 5 beef patties a week and purports to find differences in their lipids as a result. Come off it. This isn't science - it's 100% pure marketing. I wouldn't be eating grainfed meat on the basis of this BS

I'm more than happy to come off it, hehe. I just recently found a grass-fed supplier and plan to continue buying from them whenever I can. I really don't think that grain-fed is healthier, I just haven't found a link to the actual study yet, so it's hard to make a judgment either way. I imagine that the purported health benefits will probably fall below the level of statistical significance.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 06-15-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    That study sounds like bullshit.

From a farm kid's perspective, grain fed cattle look sick. If they look sick on the outside than they are probably sick on the inside.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    How long did it take you to start feeling better when you cut out grains? A week?

How long will it take a cow to start feeling like crap once on grains...

PrimalCon New York
    Good points all around. I guess I came off wrong in my initial post. I was in no way condoning grain-feeding cattle. I know that it is not healthy for the cattle, and I seriously doubt that it is as healthy for humans to consume those cows as compared to grass-fed. I was just trying to keep an open mind and not immediately jump to a conclusion. I'd really like to see hard data from the study so I can safely say that the "improvements" in lipids and insulin were not statistically significant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast