Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much D3? page 2

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    This should help: How do I get the vitamin D my body needs? | Vitamin D Council

Personally, I take 10,000 IU sublingual per day. That puts me between 70-80 ng/ml. I was getting tested every 6 months by my oncologist. She thought that I was taking too much and that I should be taking 5,000 IU instead. Every time I lower the dose, I seem to acquire a mild form of whatever bug is going around at the time. My other lab values have always been in the normal range so obviously, 10,000 IU is just fine, for me. YMMV.

I've also read recommendations for dosing at 35 IU/kg and that is the calculation that I use for my kids Vit. D3 dose amount.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Here are the facts on D3:

It is essential for optimal health & the immune system:
    There is an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency sweeping across our modern world, and it's an epidemic of such depth and seriousness that it makes the H1N1 swine flu epidemic look like a case of the sniffles by comparison. Vitamin D deficiency is not only alarmingly widespread, it's also a root cause of many other serious diseases such as cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and heart disease.
    Much more:
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world
    Dr. Kruse talks about D3:
    DISEASES ASSOCIATED WITH LOW VITAMIN D LEVELS: (below 30 ng/ml on a Vitamin D 25 (OH) test
    Rickets and osteomalacia and psoriasis
    Hypocalcemia
    Seizures, muscle tetanus and heart failure in the newly born
    Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
    Cancer of all types
    Heart disease (the number killer of men and women)
    High blood pressure development
    Obesity from all causes
    Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Mental illness of all types
    Chronic pain centrally or peripherally mediated
    Muscular weakness
    Radiation poisoning
    Diabetes…..especially metabolic syndrome and T2D development
    Multiple sclerosis and most autoimmune diseases
    Vitamin D optimization thoughts
    Vitamin D3 blood level should be between 70 to 80 ng/ml per Dr. Kruse & Dr. Davis.
    Start supplement at 10,000 IU Gelltabs for 3 months to build up your D3 reservoirs, then do the inexpensive at home D3 Blood Test here:
    Testing for vitamin D | Vitamin D Council

Then adjust the dosage: Each 1,000 IU change in dosage = 10 ng/ml change in blood level.

More here at Vitamin D3 Research:
    http://tinyurl.com/Vitamin-D-Report

Avoid Flu Shots, Take Vitamin D Instead
    Investigators have completed one double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial that shows vitamin D prevents colds and influenza significantly better (P <0.002) than a placebo pill (Epidemiol Infection 2007;135:1095—6). A large multi-center randomized trial conducted over multiple flu seasons comparing vitamin D to a flu shot can show conclusively which is better, and safer. But given the financial stakes underpinning flu shots, and unpatentable vitamin D, who will fund it?

In the meantime, considering what is most likely to be the outcome of such a trial, if it is ever conducted, I recommend that you avoid flu shots and take vitamin D instead. The rest of the story:
    Avoid Flu Shots, Take Vitamin D Instead by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
    I have personally confirmed this article. I used to suffer TERRIBLY every winter & spring with an agonizing chest cold or the flu. Sometimes I even lost my voice. I caught the flu at least once every 3 years. Sometimes both the chest cold AND the flu!! I have now gone 8 YEARS with NO chest cold & NO flu ! D3 Geltabs made with olive oil are a part of our lives. I won't even go on vacation without my D3. I take 10,000 IU Daily and my blood test comes in at 70 to 75ng/ml

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Jennifla is online now Senior Member
    I tested at 18 (with 30 being the bottom of the "normal" range). This was a surprise since I was hiking almost daily, but with my clothes on. I started taking 10,000 IU daily and my level reached 40 in two months. Doc wants it over 50. I use Sundown brand liquid, which costs about $4.99 for 30-day supply. I helped me a lot with energy levels and as a bonus, I can tolerate a great deal of sun exposure in the summer.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    It's going to vary. Personally I take 10,000 IU D3 a day in winter, under my doctor's supervision with the intent to get my blood levels of D up to around 70. We monitor with routine blood tests. In the summer, if we're having a decently sunny summer, I can drop to about 5000 IU a day. I get tested a couple times year to ensure I'm not too low. I've never been too high, but since D is a fat soluble vitamin you do have to be careful that you don't overdo it. I think you could safely take 5000 IU a day without any concerns, but you might need more.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12